VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone!

Just thought I'd share my newest mk2 with you guys, picked it up in October last year(don't worry, I rustproofed it :)), and have been dailying it since with no time to get some decent pictures!

Details:

-91 GTI 16V
-173 000 original km's (Currently 179km)
-Imported from Japan by the previous owner (Jswaby)
-Left hand drive, right hand drive hella h4's (waiting for sharkfour6 to send me the headlights I purchased)
-Power windows, power mirrors, central locks, power steering, A/C
-No sunroof
-Royal Blue Metallic Paint (LA5U)
-1.8L 16v
-10.1" Rotors (same as GLI or GTX)
-Green & Blue 8V GTI style seats, swapped them out for my Recaro's (kept the door cards and they look great!
-Euro fender signals
-Euro tails
-No third brake light :)
-Etc....

Have had the car apart, and it is immaculate! By far the greatest Mk2 I've ever owned, everything works! EVERYTHING! All work done so far has been maintenance related, apart from the dash and 4300k HID's (looks great with H4's, much better light output than anything I've ever tried).

Oddly enough, it came with 8V Flares, and no red trim anywhere, so I added the grille and swapped my dash in (original one was all cracked).

I know you all may say "lower it", but I got forced by the insurance company to have the car appraised prior to getting coverage (huge hassle), therefore everything had to be changed to stock or I wouldn't be getting insurance. I'm hoping/planning to get my Apex Cup-Kit, polished intake, 16v flares, magnaflow exhaust, and neuspeed strut bar back on though! :)

Also on the fence about whether I should install the Zender Heckspoiler or not :confused: lemme know what you guys think!

Enjoy the pics!

Never saw one of these! Looks like some sort of rodent got in there at some point

Oh and I rear-ended my old 91 GTI 16v, thus why I got a new one :banghead:

Here's my old 16v:

What's going into the new one:

Here's the damage :(

Looked down to see the time/mfa, next thing I know the 50-60km/h flow is at a dead stop in the left lane = 0.5 second to stop, ended up bending a steering wheel with my forearm

Thanks for looking! :beer:

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
srry to here about the first one but the second one is very clean and left hand drive which is cool
I'm trying to figure out what's so cool about a JDM LHD car - that's the same as a European or USDM car but with pictograph writing.

To the OP - why did you have to bring the car back to stock for insurance? Obtain Agreed Value insurance instead or you'll find yourself on the short-end of the stick when you make an insurance claim.

Case in point was a local VW Beetle owner who crashed his car - his insurance company actually DEVALUED his car because they believed that a stock 996 was more valuable than one with an aftermarket exhaust. That fight got ugly as the owner had to provide all his receipts and spend a few months arguing that his "track mods" actually added to the value of a 996.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'm trying to figure out what's so cool about a JDM LHD car - that's the same as a European or USDM car but with pictograph writing.

To the OP - why did you have to bring the car back to stock for insurance? Obtain Agreed Value insurance instead or you'll find yourself on the short-end of the stick when you make an insurance claim.

Case in point was a local VW Beetle owner who crashed his car - his insurance company actually DEVALUED his car because they believed that a stock 996 was more valuable than one with an aftermarket exhaust. That fight got ugly as the owner had to provide all his receipts and spend a few months arguing that his "track mods" actually added to the value of a 996.
Hey mgyip,

what's so cool about a jdm gti? :
1. I guess because there's probably little to no other jdm gti's in Canada, or US?
2. I do agree that apart from the Headlights and vin, it is exactly like a euro market car, but, once again, who else in Canada or US has a euro imported 16v gti built in germany (vs. mexico)
3.The fact that I only paid $1000 for an imported car.

I just named 3 "coolness" factors :D

As far as insurance goes, the company I was with was the only company that offered insurance to my "modified" black gti that I had accidented. They knew about the suspension, exhaust, and wheels, and they were cool with everything. I called every single company when I was insuring it in 2010, and all companies told me that they a. didn't insure "old cars", b. didn't insure vehicles modified vehicles of any kind. I had TD Canada Insurance actually tell me that because it was modified that it wasn't as safe as when it left the lot 20 yrs ago (even though it left the lot with no airbags or other safety features that comes standard today...).

So the second time around when I was insuring this vehicle, the jdm vin threw everyone for a loop, but wasn't a major issue, when my insurance company asked me if it was modified, I felt safe in telling them that it was the exact same car with the exact same mods, and they came back to me telling me that they no longer were insuring performance modified vehicles (performance includes everything from a k&n drop in filter to suspension). The only approved mod you can do to your car is body aesthetics, and wheels of the same OE size. They will fight you on everything stating that it will improve the performance of the vehicle, thus making it faster, thus making you a race car, thus making you a risk to society.:confused:

And, the best part is, even though I still had my previous vehicle still covered when I called them, I found out that they were going to drop my old policy upon my renewal anyway (because of the mods).

So I called other companies and brokers, I tried everything, I started telling other companies that I had no mods, and they still wouldn't insure a 20 year old car, with an at fault accident driver, and if they did offer me a quote, it was upwards of $350/month liability only. I actually had insurance companies laugh at me for wanting to change insurance companies because of how low my rates were with them and that they've essentially swept my accident under the rug.

I even tried having my dad insure the car under his name (he's with TD) and even though he stated that there were no mods, my 50 yr old dad was still told that he'd need to have the vehicle appraised. The reasons were so that they can appraise the vehicle because there was no longer a book value (the ministry of transport ontario had me appraise it for the same reason), and to prove that it was stock, because I guess most vw golfs in that generation and model are prone to modifications.

I eventually had to bite the bullet and throw on some used oem suspension and a new bosal oe exhaust (exhaust was only for good measure), so that when I appraised it I wouldn't be turned away or have to do it again. I had very strict guidelines for the appraisal as well, it needed to be a fully detailed appraisal (as you would get when insuring a classic car) with lots of pictures. So as to prove that a third party deemed it stock, and could offer a value.

It ended up being appraised at $5000 on winter steelies with a cracked dash. But the insurance company still doesn't take the appraised value into account, they just re-adjusted the value to whatever they pleased and offered me full coverage insurance for $147/month, so I really had no other option. I'm 22 with a 20yr old car, and an at fault accident, so I'm not the most appealing to insurance companies.

All insurance companies are dropping/not accepting clients with performance modified vehicles, my buddy has a subaru wrx, and received a message from belair direct reading exactly this .

The overall plan is to get a daily driver, and insure this car under classic/modified car insurance.

Scenario:

If I somehow lost control, hit a school bus, and they looked into the accident, and found out that my vehicle was "performance modified" they could technically walk away from me and tell me that I'll have to cover everything.

I hope that answers your question, probably went too far in depth, but that's the crap I had to deal with to just get insurance.

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
Very interesting and detailed reply - apparently insurance in Canada sounds like an absolute nightmare. Insurance in the US, while not exactly a cake walk, isn't nearly as restrictive or unyielding.

I'm especially surprised that the car required a full inspection for insurance - I once insured a racecar car that had a rollcage, no interior and R-compound tyres. The insurance inspection noted that the tyres were "virtually bald" but didn't without writing a policy. Perhaps the Canadian insurance industry is a bit more militant.

I guess when the US economy tanks, I should flee to Mexico instead of Canada if I intend to pursue playing with cars.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Insurance in Canada is different in every province. Ontario has privatized insurance where Manitoba is Public insurance. The second is the better.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
With a clean driving record I was just quoted $88 a month on my Turbo diesel :thumbup: Maybe I'll have to move to Manitoba :laugh:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have rear end someone before in my coupe and its heart breaking
http://www.*********/3.jpg

Yea, it's one of the worst feelings, especially when the car was exactly how I wanted it to be.

On another note, is it just me, or does anyone else get scared when they think of drilling 4 holes in their hatch in order to install a Zender Heckspoiler?!??! I know I've seen it on a T-red gti on here (I think its PDXGTI8V 2.0's car)....
I love the look, but it's such a tough decision! I think they look so smooth without it, but with them on, they remind me of a porsche whale-tail spoiler....

decisions decisions! Paging PDXGTI8V 2.0! I want to know about how you installed it (any rubber grommets in the bolt holes so as to seal it from moisture??) and some pics of your car with the zender spoiler on it if you could!

Lemme know your input guys!

P.S. I'll be lowering it on Monday, so I'll post up some new pics, and I'm currently in the process of re-polishing the intake :banghead:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
FYI: every jdm dub i saw when i was in Japan was RHD, im confused as to why yours is LHD. makes me think it was imported into japan by someone in the military or something

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FYI: every jdm dub i saw when i was in Japan was RHD, im confused as to why yours is LHD. makes me think it was imported into japan by someone in the military or something
I thought that too! So I did my research and here's what proves morimori right!

http://exchange.goo-net.com/php/search/summary.php

hopefully that link works!

:cool::thumbup:

FYI : There are LHD and RHD in Japan.:)
Exactly!

Stay away from that koolaid -- it looks great the way it is.

Though, the shift knob is of questionable taste, and is that faux-wood trim on the glovebox?
Thanks for the comment! and the knob looks alot better in person, I stained & varnished it myself, and yes that's faux wood trim on the glovebox, the PO in Japan did that, and I don't mind it at all! Coincidently works with my shift knob! ahah

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.