VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 02 Jetta 1.8t auto transmission has 95K, recently got the ASR light on and got code P1780. When the gear shift, it's really crazy and the 5 th gear is missing. Is there anyone knows about it and help me?

·
Registered
7 Posts
For a minute I thought I posted this. Same problem on a 2002 Jetta 1.8T AWP with 76,000 miles. The ASR light comes on in Auto and when it shifts it is a VERY hard slam/shift going up and down in gears. I tried using the Tiptronic and manually shifted. It was fine for a 4 days but then the ASR light came on and I was stuck in 4th, it would not shift up or down but when I slowed down it did slam to 3rd, at which point I took it out and slid into neutral, pulled over and re-started... the temp. fix for this ASR problem. I bought this car for my daughter recently and I'm sorting through the issues (my first VW). When it is cold the revs "hunt" very badly i.e from 1000 rpm it drops almost to 0 then back up, unless you hold the revs to about 2000 it will usually shut off... its fine after it warms up. I think this is a seperate issue tho I'm not sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Please help. We have the same issue as the original poster and have been through two cycles with a local shop. Latest vag codes are 16486, 18032, 01166, P0102, P1624

This prompted them to check vacuum with smoke test and found a broken oil dipstick (replaced) and a vacuum line (replaced). On driving home we had the same issue occur with some rough shifting and ASR flash. Very frustrating.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Please help. We have the same issue as the original poster and have been through two cycles with a local shop. Latest vag codes are 16486, 18032, 01166, P0102, P1624

This prompted them to check vacuum with smoke test and found a broken oil dipstick (replaced) and a vacuum line (replaced). On driving home we had the same issue occur with some rough shifting and ASR flash. Very frustrating.

Any ideas?
not sure if this will help you, but ASR light comes on when you turn off traction control. on a stock car, when you unplug the MAF, the ASR light stays on (you can't turn it off). try unplugginh your MAF and see if the car behaves any differently. I could be wrong, but maybe you have a "bugged-out" MAF. Like i said, unplug it and take the car for a spin, see what happens. If problem is gone, i'd try a new MAF

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Running without the Maf isnt recommended for automatic/tip 1.8t's, the transmission uses the Maf readings to shift/etc.

No/broken/**** Maf = tranny in limp.

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
Running without the Maf isnt recommended for automatic/tip 1.8t's, the transmission uses the Maf readings to shift/etc.

No/broken/**** Maf = tranny in limp.
wow lol, well back to sqaure 1 :screwy:

·
Registered
12,603 Posts
We're on the third MAF during all this troubleshooting - trying different units. Pretty sure it is not the MAF.
o,ok

·
Registered
132 Posts
Idk if you guys were able to fix it yet or not but I threw the code after cleaning the Maf because I got a p0171 so I unplugged the MAF connector blew on it to get any dust out reconnected it and had autozone clear the codes for me. 20 ish miles later still no cel. I'll keep you guys updated at 100 miles brining it to my mechanic to get the car scanned. Also if the ASR is on check the Maf connection it usually ends up cracking and trips the ASR light to stay on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did anyone find out what was the problem? I've been having this issue with my car for a while now.. I replaced the MAF and it's still happening. I hate this car so much...

·
Registered
1 Posts
[QUOTE = "Jxphan, publicación: 78712807, miembro: 648792"]
Verifique el conector MAF, generalmente comienzan a agrietarse y causar problemas.
[/CITA]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts