VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my brake pads and rotors changed on all tires. During the “break in” period of these brake pads all I noticed was my back tire had a very loud knocking noise. I took it back to the mechanic who put them on, he said it was fine and it will go away.
(These are slotted rotors and ceramic brake pads), the mechanic said it was just because of the type of rotor that it will make noise at first.
It’s been well over 2,000 miles and this noise only comes back occasionally after not driving for a little while, every time i brake the noise goes away for a few days.
Should I be worried?

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I recently had my brake pads and rotors changed on all tires. During the “break in” period of these brake pads all I noticed was my back tire had a very loud knocking noise. I took it back to the mechanic who put them on, he said it was fine and it will go away.
(These are slotted rotors and ceramic brake pads), the mechanic said it was just because of the type of rotor that it will make noise at first.
It’s been well over 2,000 miles and this noise only comes back occasionally after not driving for a little while, every time i brake the noise goes away for a few days.
Should I be worried?
From my experience with a number of rotors (mix of installing them myself and taking it to a shop), I've never heard of rear brakes knocking unless something was loose back there (like a loose caliper or bolt). I'd be worried given this is in the safety category. Outside of squeaks from pads, you should not have any loud knocking. I'd get a second opinion from a different mechanic.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts