VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So actually I have two race car projects going on at the moment. A friend had finished stripping an a2 Jetta coupe to bare metal and started putting a cage in it for the same class that I am building the Golf for - SCCA H Production. His shop is in Santa Barbara, so this thing does not have ANY rust on it. With a back injury, and a pretty extensive home remodeling project underway, Gary decided he won't be able to finish and race the car, so he asked me to pick it up from him and get it on track. So while it is "free", there is a fair amount of time and $$ that needs to go into it to be race ready.

I spent mother's day weekend out there working on the car, trying to get it to roller state so we can go pick it up during a family camping trip to Yosemite later in the summer. Here are a few pics of the starting point, and initial progress. It is nice to be doing a full dedicated build with such a solid starting point. The car will end up very stiff, and hopefully very competitive.

I still plan to get the Golf done and racing this year, but hope to switch over to this car for 2014.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More progress on the driver door bars.

Car should be a roller by now. Need to figure out when to take that California vacation this summer to go pick it up.

Plated in the dash bar and strut tower braces

Driver bar horizontals

With a seat mocked up *(need to make sure there is not a vertical bar right where my elbow sits)

All tacked in place

A big thanks to Tim Wallace for the top notch fab work on the door bars. They are pretty much exactly what I envisioned.

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
Nice cage. I'm :popcorn: for the responses about how you're evil for destroying such a rare and valuable Dub...

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
these things aren't rare.. yet lol

sub'd..

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The required elements (main hoop, rear braces, dash bar, front braces, door bars, diagonal and harness bar) are 1.5" .095 DOM tubing. The optional elements (gusset tubes, additional braces) are thinner wall 1.5" or 1" tubing.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The motor will be a 1.8 8v with .425 cam lift, 12:1 compression, shim under bucket solid lifters, lightened crank & rods, forged pistons, custom header and MS3 engine management.

I live in Chicago area, but Gary, who had the car is in Santa Barbara. So we will be taking a family camping trip to Yosemite this summer with the motorhome and a trailer :)

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So here are the rules on steering:

Steering
1. Steering system components can be reinforced by the
addition of material and/or the addition of support to the stock component.
2. Bushings locating or retaining any steering system compo- nents can be replaced by bushings of any material. The alternate bushing can not relocate the component it retains.
3. The outer tie rod end can be replaced by a rod end. The rod end can be coupled to the steering system by a rod or threaded tube of unrestricted origin and material. The tapered hole in the steering arm on the outboard side of the tie rod (rod end) can be drilled or reamed to allow a bolt to be used to retain the rod end to the steering arm. The rod end can be moved up or down by the installation of spacers for the sole purpose of reducing bump steer.
4. The steering column is unrestricted. A collapsible type steering column is strongly recommended. The driver’s normal seated position must not be relocated.
5. Cars equipped with power steering as standard equipment can modify, substitute, disable and/or remove the power pump, related hoses and mounting brackets.

I run a spool differential, and have always used a stock manual rack. If a depowered power rack is similar in weight, I would try it, but not if it adds weight to the front axle.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The guy doing most of the fab work, Tim Wallace is only 21 years old. He is doing a great job.

·
Registered
13,096 Posts
The guy doing most of the fab work, Tim Wallace is only 21 years old. He is doing a great job.
Age has no bearing on a fabricator's abilities. Just like mechanics (NOT technicians) - some have a natural ability and others are just plain hacks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Age has no bearing on a fabricator's abilities. Just like mechanics (NOT technicians) - some have a natural ability and others are just plain hacks.
That is so true. I go to UNOH over in Ohio, so many people that go here to be actual "Technicians" .. shouldnt. They have no natural abilities.

·
Registered
7,200 Posts
The motor will be a 1.8 8v with .425 cam lift, 12:1 compression, shim under bucket solid lifters, lightened crank & rods, forged pistons, custom header and MS3 engine management.

I live in Chicago area, but Gary, who had the car is in Santa Barbara. So we will be taking a family camping trip to Yosemite this summer with the motorhome and a trailer :)
Nice!

That'll be a fun little road trip! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 20 of 110 Posts