VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only had just under a dozen beers and somehow that merits the hiccups... oh well. In any case, lets hear your hiccup stories. What the problem is/was, how you fixed it, or if you didn't fix it, how it still annoys the piss out of you.
I'll kick things off
My stupid jetta feels the need to sometimes start on only 4 out of 5 cylinders. Rev it up a little bit and usually the problem rectifies itself. Sometimes the cel will flash though, in which case I shut 'er down, say a quick prayer and start it back up with the hopes that everything is hunky-dory. Seems to only happen every 15-20K miles though so I don't really care to look into it.
So TCL, what've you got for me?

Rule numero uno:

Modified by vwsteve at 7:23 AM 3-20-2010

· Registered
8,243 Posts
Jetta had the hiccups for more than an hour, let's hear your ... (mikeypoo)

What worked for me when I had hiccups is this (no, really):
Stand up.
Have drink in hand.
Bend over till your head is upside down.
Drink from bottle/cup/glass.
You end up having to rest the bottle/cup/glass on your top lip, rather than your bottom lip. Take a few gulps, not sips... and hey presto, hiccups gone.
And to keep on track: My Cabrio used to cut out intermittently on me. It would happen today, then only happen again a few weeks or months later. Basically I would be driving, and the engine would shut off then switch back on again.
Ended up being the coilpack...

Modified by vwsteve at 7:24 AM 3-20-2010

· Registered
E46 330ci coupe
27,612 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by WhitePoloCT »
What worked for me when I had hiccups is this (no, really):
Stand up.
Have drink in hand.
Bend over till your head is upside down.
Drink from bottle/cup/glass.
You end up having to rest the bottle/cup/glass on your top lip, rather than your bottom lip. Take a few gulps, not sips... and hey presto, hiccups gone.

I can vouch that this always works for me.
On Topic: MR2 had faulty fuel pump relay. Because it was a swapped motor and an original fuel pump the wiring was a bit wacky. I'd start the car and any time it wasn't running right I could pop the engine lid, grab the relay wiggle it one way and the engine would die, wiggle it another and whaddya know? Its back to life. It was annoying but at least I knew how to fix it.
Oh and now I own a Volkswagen, so yeah, coilpacks.

· Registered
1,167 Posts
Re: (Skot53)

Quote, originally posted by Skot53 »
^^Do you have my old car?

It's the MAF. Un plug it... If the problem goes away, replace, or check for boost leaks.

is it a red with metallic flake? ngp racing had it for a little? lol

· Registered
456 Posts
Re: Jetta had the hiccups for more than an hour, let's hear your ... (WhitePoloCT)

I used to swear by the upside down reverse drinking method... until that one time it failed. Now I'm back to terrified superstition.
Installed some kind of fancy turbo inlet in front of the neVar LoOse which curiously had a port to connect the line from the secondary air injection pump - post MAF. Cold starts went all warbly and dramatic until I'd coast to a stop and the thing would just die. Restarted fine and ran fine from there.
Scratched my head a bit after a few days and decided (genius) that maybe I didn't want to be sucking metered air away to heat my cat.

Replumbed... problem solved.
Still waiting for a coilpack to go, though.

· Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Jetta had the hiccups for more than an hour, let's hear your ... (snailpusher)

I guess vwsteve didn't like my original title
In any case, just to clarify, I had the hiccups for over an hour, not my car. Haven't heard of drinking upside down. I'll have to remember that. I've only heard of holding your breath or having someone scare the crap out of you.
Remembered another one: my fiancee's old car (96 buick skylark) was a pos and every now and then the horn would start honking on it's own. It usually did it between the hours of 1 and 3 AM
Disconnected the battery whenever it would act up and then go back to sleep.
It also had another problem where it occasionally wouldn't crank if you tried to start it. Sometimes that would last for 5 minutes, other times maybe a week
She had to go 6 months without it because we couldn't get it started and didn't feel like paying for a tow to the shop. It started eventually and she sold it. Good riddance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.