VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so this is kinda weird, almost every time I have to stop in my 1996 Jetta Trek I push the clutch and start to slow down, and the rpms drop but too far, they're supposed to catch around 800 and they fall all the way to like 200-300 and the lights dim as if the car is stalling, sometimes it will catch at go back up to 800, sometimes it'll jump to 800 then fall all the way and stall. The car has brand new spark plugs, distributor cap, plugs, oil change and other tune up stuff (less 5000 miles, but it has been doing it since a few weeks after the tune up). Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Try cleaning the MAF and doing a throttle body alignment(just put the key in the acc position for like 30sec and then start the car)...

My car does something similar and the CEL is on, but the code cleared itself until I had to romp on my car to get it outta the snow one night... So I'm sure it will just go away again.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok I'll look into that, I might have an idea though, I checked my Haynes repair book, and it said a car stall can be caused by an emission system component problem, and I know the Cat. was clogged so we punched it out, and my CEL is always on, and the code that comes up is for the O2 sensor and it says that theres no activity there. Could this be my problem? or do you think its more of the throttle body and what not like you said early?

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'm in to know what this is too.

My car sometimes does it on startup. I turn the key, then it sorta turns over at about 200 rpm, before it finally kicks up to 800 rpm and idles properly.

It also happens at stop signs sometimes.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm in to know what this is too.

My car sometimes does it on startup. I turn the key, then it sorta turns over at about 200 rpm, before it finally kicks up to 800 rpm and idles properly.

It also happens at stop signs sometimes.
Clean your mass air flow sensor and throttle body.Advanced/auto zone/pep
boys sells a spray for each:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
OP you said your cat was clogged and you punched it out, and the o2 sensor is throwing a code... I would def start there. Depending on which o2 sensor is throwing the code the car could be added or taking away needed fuel because it is not getting the proper/any reading from that sensor.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OP you said your cat was clogged and you punched it out, and the o2 sensor is throwing a code... I would def start there. Depending on which o2 sensor is throwing the code the car could be added or taking away needed fuel because it is not getting the proper/any reading from that sensor.
Ok, that one I might have to wait for spring, I have a spare Jetta, but its covered in snow at the moment, but I believe the CAT is good in there. The CEL is always on, and theres only 1 code (not sure of the # offhand) but the code means no activity at O2 sensor and I believe its the one before the CAT. But I'm pretty sure the sensor is new and working. So you think its just the non CAT? lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.