VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this site and VW's in general. I'm trying to decide between a Jetta or a Passat, both probably with the 1.8T engine and the tiptronic (I know its lame but I don't know how to shift and I live in Los Angeles). They both seem to have their pros and cons, so I thought I would ask you guys what you thought.
Passat
PROS
I love
the exterior and interior styling. (Ink Blue with Black interior for me!)
The fact that it is made in Germany and shares many components with the Audi
CONS
No available sports suspension/tires package
300 pounds heavier than Jetta + 10 hp less on 1.8T = less performance
Jetta
PROS
Sportier
Faster
CONS
Made in Mexico or Brazil or something
Don't like the exterior styling as much but the interior is sweet
What do you guys think? Am I overplaying the importance of the country of production? I hear that like 90+% of the car's production is with robots anyway. I just figure the reliability might be better with a passat (I think consumer reports finds faults with the Jetta's but not the Passat's reliability). Is the 1.8T slow on the passat? Has anyone made a similar decision? Thanks for your help.
Toby.
BTW, a salesman told me that Indigo is not made anymore for Passat, that it was replaced with Ink blue but the website still shows both colors. What's up with that? Someone posted this car color (ink) and I think its sweet, I think his name was Orjan from Norway. What is the difference between Ink Blue, Indigo Blue and Antracite Blue since the VW.com site does not really show them well. Can someone post pics of them. Sorry for all the questions. Thanks again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Jetta or Passat? (JEssat)

Shoot, I forgot. The dealer said they could install sports suspension and 17 wheels (I know some people have commented on the rip-off price!). What do people who have gone with the upgraded VW suspension and 17 wheels think of the upgrade. Thanks.
Toby.

·
Registered
‘17 VW Passat, ‘08 VW Passat, ‘07 Audi Q7 4.2, ‘03 BMW R1150RT, ‘53 DKW RT250H
3,176 Posts

The Passat (although is advertised as having 170hp), actually has the same 180hp of the Jetta. It's because the V6 in the Passat only has 190hp, and the 180hp rating would have been too close for them to sell any V6 Passats, so they advertise it as having 170hp.
Suspension and wheel/tyre mods can be done aftermarket on a Passat or can be dealer-installed-options (although I'm not quite sure if there is a VW-approved suspension for model years 2001.5> yet).

·
Registered
3,275 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]
Passat
PROS
I love the exterior and interior styling. (Ink Blue with Black interior for me!) Yes!
The fact that it is made in Germany and shares many components with the Audi Yes!
It's bigger and has a usable back seat
It's available in Ink blue

CONS
No available sports suspension/tires package Aftermarket
300 pounds heavier than Jetta + 10 hp less on 1.8T = less performance but not much less...
Jetta
PROS
Sportier
Faster
Smaller -> more "tossable" and easier to park
CONS
Made in Mexico or Brazil or something Mexico - not necessarily a bad thing
BTW, a salesman told me that Indigo is not made anymore for Passat, that it was replaced with Ink blue but the website still shows both colors. What's up with that?your salesman has smoked something he shouldn't have smoked
vwguild will know this for sure
Someone posted this car color (ink) and I think its sweet, I think his name was Orjan from Norway.It's Ørjan - but these wierd letters æøå aren't used over there

What is the difference between Ink Blue which is a bright, sporty color, Indigo Blue which is very elegant and Antracite Blue which is more Anthracite than blue, but beautiful none the less.
Can someone post pics of them. Yes! Sorry for all the questions. Nothing to be sorry about, that why we're here Thanks again.You're welcome!

[HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
871 Posts
Re: Jetta or Passat? (Orjan)

quote:[HR][/HR]A side-by-side pic of Ink and Indigo blue in this thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=58597.
[HR][/HR]​
Orjan, (er, Ørjan
) you're welcome to post a direct link to my side-by-side pic in the future if you'd rather.

Ink is a difficult color to get (at least most people have trouble getting it), but those who have it I'm sure would tell you it's worth any wait to get it. Ink/black would be wonderful. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
208 Posts

Regarding the color on the Passat, I was told just the opposite as far as Indigo vs. Ink.
#1. I have been looking all over Dallas/Ft. Worth and have been unable to find an Ink anywhere in the past 2-3 mos.
B. When I placed my order, sitting next to my salesman, the VW rep told us that due to a lack of demand recently, the Ink would be next to impossible to get, so I gave in and went with the Indigo
. Not a big disappointment, but man, that Inky thing sure does shine up above this post
! Quit posting those pics, Ørjan, wouldya?!?
I just look at Gretta http://clubb5.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000035.html every now and then and feel just fine about that color. Thanks, pass-variant (Chris).

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Re: Jetta or Passat? (idale)

quote:[HR][/HR]Orjan, (er, Ørjan
) you're welcome to post a direct link to my side-by-side pic in the future if you'd rather.

[HR][/HR]​
Hooray!

Well jhutton91 - I have OCIBP3D (obsessive compulsive Ink blue pearl picture posting disorder) - and there really isn't much I can do about it

·
Registered
82 Posts

Back to the basic comparisons; We drove the Jetta wagon and Passat wagon back-to-back. The Jetta seemed faster and more sporty, while the Passat was smoother and more sophisticated. For us, the back seat room and overall styling of the Passat sealed the deal - that and our previous experience with VWs. All of the German built ones have been extremely reliable. The others have not.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Re: Jetta or Passat? (Orjan)

*Ink* is, indeed, an available color choice, but not many around...will
probably require a *build*...Although I have in bound a very rare INK Blue/Grey Leather, 4MO Variant, But I had to have an INK/Beige Leather
built...it is still in the "Order Bank"..."In Production" later in December...

·
Registered
10,105 Posts
Re: Jetta or Passat? (vwguild)

What does it matter, anyway? Everyone says to me, "Hey! Nice JETTA!"

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Re: Jetta or Passat? (Triumph)

I looked at the Jetta too. All I have to say is...
PASSAT = http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Re: Jetta or Passat? (LelloBeetle)

I really liked the driving personality of the Jetta, but my taller friends would have never fit. I got the Passat because it was just as much to drive to me, and has more usable interior space. Plus, the exterior styling is excellent, IMO. Hated the chrome at first, but it's grown on me like some funky fungus.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Re: Jetta or Passat? (vwguild)

quote:[HR][/HR]*Ink* is, indeed, an available color choice, but not many around...will
probably require a *build*...Although I have in bound a very rare INK Blue/Grey Leather, 4MO Variant, But I had to have an INK/Beige Leather
built...it is still in the "Order Bank"..."In Production" later in December...[HR][/HR]​
That's mine, right? So we're hoping for production maybe late December, get here mid-late february? (I realize its all guesstimating until the real build week appears, but...) I was starting to wonder if the delay in a build week assignment had anything to do with the rumors of no more ink blue...they're unfounded, right?
jhutton-You didn't go ink?! If you're already ordering how is there a difference? (I thought you were ordering so, like me, you could get leather without lux or some such?)
FWIW-anyone in the Bay area who wants to see ink, Dirito Bros. in Walnut Creek supposedly has an Ink Sedan.
Oh and um..on the original question. We looked at the Jetta Wagon too. Its not much cheaper (with a decent engine) than the passat wagon (don't know the spread on the sedans). But as soon as we sat in the back seat the decision was made. Too small. Wish they could have distributed a little more of the ample cargo area on the wagon to the rear seat...then it would have been quite a viable option (though wouldn't change my only 6' tall boyfriends head rubbing the roof). Again, we didn't look at the sedan, but make sure you sit in the back...behind the driver with the drivers seat adjusted for the tallest driver who will drive it on a regular basis.
Good Luck!
Go Ink!

·
Registered
60 Posts

I too am having this same dilema. I own a Jetta 2. slow and it was my first excursion into VW. Even though it is only the 2.0 it is a blast to drive. I really love how sporty the Jetta is (I want to purchase the 1.8T) but I also love the refinement of the Passat without having to spend $40,000. It really is a toss up and I feel for ya about the decision that you have to make.

·
Registered
368 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Hi everyone,
I'm new to this site and VW's in general. I'm trying to decide between a Jetta or a Passat, both probably with the 1.8T engine and the tiptronic (I know its lame but I don't know how to shift and I live in Los Angeles). They both seem to have their pros and cons, so I thought I would ask you guys what you thought.
Passat
PROS
I love
the exterior and interior styling. (Ink Blue with Black interior for me!)
The fact that it is made in Germany and shares many components with the Audi
CONS
No available sports suspension/tires package
300 pounds heavier than Jetta + 10 hp less on 1.8T = less performance
Jetta
PROS
Sportier
Faster
CONS
Made in Mexico or Brazil or something
What do you guys think? Am I overplaying the importance of the country of production? I hear that like 90+% of the car's production is with robots anyway. I just figure the reliability might be better with a passat (I think consumer reports finds faults with the Jetta's but not the Passat's reliability). Is the 1.8T slow on the passat? Has anyone made a similar decision? Thanks for your help.
Toby.
BTW, a salesman told me that Indigo is not made anymore for Passat, that it was replaced with Ink blue but the website still shows both colors. What's up with that? Someone posted this car color (ink) and I think its sweet, I think his name was Orjan from Norway. What is the difference between Ink Blue, Indigo Blue and Antracite Blue since the VW.com site does not really show them well. Can someone post pics of them. Sorry for all the questions. Thanks again.
[HR][/HR]​
Reasons why I didn't get a Jetta:
1) Hecho en Mexico
2) Way too small. Not just the backseat, but small in general. I felt like my line of vision was obstructed in the Jetta. May not be an issue if you're not tall.
3) Jetta came across too much like a "mini-me" Passat for my tastes.
4) Jetta seems to be a kid car. Guys with noses rings and colored hair or pretty young bimbos drive Jettas. Sorry to stereotype, but that's what I usually see in Los Angeles. Passat looks more grown up which could be important depending on your line of work...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Re: Jetta or Passat? (Cupholder)

Where in Los Angeles did you get your Passat and what did you pay for it? I know what you mean about the stereotype for the Jetta, but I really like mine. I have no piercings, hair colorings, and I'm not a pretty young bimbo. I guess I would have to give one a test drive. Any recomendations on where I could a good deal would be helpful.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.