VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been researching the JSW and I haven't figured out what the display in the base JSW actually can and can't do. I was able to get some brief seat time with one but didn't get to start it, but as far as I could tell, all the display told me was speed and the next service. However, VW.com lists a "multifunction trip computer" as one of the features, and I have friend in Germany with a Golf 6 with the same standard, non-plus MFA, and his will also display avg. fuel consumption and avg. speed.

Does the NAR JSW S have these functions, or is it a further dumbed down version of what I described? None of the salespeople could actually give me a solid answer, only "probablys", and I didn't want to waste any more of their time trying to figure out something so trivial. The Tiguan S also seems to have the exact same setup.

Added pics, as far as I could dig, this is what the std. MFA from the EU will do:

Thought I'd ask a pool of owners that drive their cars everyday instead of a salesperson that has to keep track of different models and different trim level and couldn't be arsed to remember what the base model MFD actually does.

And as an added bonus here is the MFA Premium which is also available in the EU. I think its a 220€ upgrade from the very base MFA, color display. Does pretty much the same things as the MFA+ though. I haven't seen these in the top trim GTIs, I wonder who will be the first to shoehorn this into their car?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
For the S models the display is very basic. You get temperature, odometer, trip odometer, days/miles to next service and cruise control speed (if set). That's about it I think.
Correct. However it is possible to access the "hidden" trip computer. You'll need a multifunction steering wheel, and a highline CECM. Then get everything to recognize each other with some VAG-COM coding, and you'll have everything except the "convenience" features.

You can get a take-off steering wheel in the MK6 or CC classifieds for about $300 and a CECM costs about $225 from one of the parts guys on the forum. You'll also be replacing the plastic wheel with a leather one in the process.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Correct. However it is possible to access the "hidden" trip computer. You'll need a multifunction steering wheel, and a highline CECM. Then get everything to recognize each other with some VAG-COM coding, and you'll have everything except the "convenience" features.

You can get a take-off steering wheel in the MK6 or CC classifieds for about $300 and a CECM costs about $225 from one of the parts guys on the forum. You'll also be replacing the plastic wheel with a leather one in the process.
I assume the wiper stalk with controls would work in this application then? Might be a cheaper part to get and install.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
I have a JSW S and I can confirm what everyone said. It only gives me temp, odo, trip miles and you can either show cruise speed if you have it on or you can have it show kmh instead. That is all it will do. For the record, I love my JSW S especially for the price. I have a 5 speed, only options are Bluetooth (forced) and mat kit. Pic:

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I assume the wiper stalk with controls would work in this application then? Might be a cheaper part to get and install.
If you want to keep the plastic steering wheel, and forgo the ability to control the stereo with the MFSW controls, yes. My guess is that you'll need the CECM to access the trip computer anyway just as you do for a fog light install (using VW parts, not an aftermarket harness/relay setup).

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
It's not the CECM that is needed, but the steering column control module like the one shown here. This, with proper coding and a MFSW (or MF wiper switch, I assume) will give you basic trip computer functions. I think you get instantaneous MPG, avg MPG, trip time, trip distance, miles to empty, and current speed, average speed, and winter tire speed warning.

BTW, this control module is for 2010. 2011 has completely different steering column electrics/electronics.

To get a full MFI with comfort settings, audio/nav, phone etc, you will need the CECM and a new cluster AFAIK.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not the CECM that is needed, but the steering column control module like the one shown here. This, with proper coding and a MFSW (or MF wiper switch, I assume) will give you basic trip computer functions. I think you get instantaneous MPG, avg MPG, trip time, trip distance, miles to empty, and current speed, average speed, and winter tire speed warning.

BTW, this control module is for 2010. 2011 has completely different steering column electrics/electronics.

To get a full MFI with comfort settings, audio/nav, phone etc, you will need the CECM and a new cluster AFAIK.
Thanks for the infos, I would be perfectly content with having just the fuel consumption display. So the parts I would need are simply the the steering control module and the wiper stalk? Would the dealer know which module I would need, or is there just one type available for the JSW6?

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
As installed in the cars at the factory, there are two or three different steering column modules depending on the equipment. As a replacement, there is only one shown in the catalog and the part number is 1K0-953-549-CD. This is the high-line version. My car originally came with 1K0-953-549-CQ, which is the mid- or low-line version. The part number for the wiper switch with the MFI controls on it is 1K0-953-519-J-9B9. Don't forget that you'll need to code the new control module and also change the coding of the cluster to enable the MFI.

You know, now that I think of it, I got a new module because I was adding a multi-function steering wheel (I just wanted a leather wheel--the steering wheel buttons and MFI were a bonus). Maybe if you are only adding a switch you won't need a new module. However, I did try to enable the MFI in the cluster before I put the new module and steering wheel in and the cluster would not accept the coding. There is a possibility that adding the switch would be enough to allow the cluster to accept the new coding, but to be honest, I doubt it. It might be worth a try, though.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As installed in the cars at the factory, there are two or three different steering column modules depending on the equipment. As a replacement, there is only one shown in the catalog and the part number is 1K0-953-549-CD. This is the high-line version. My car originally came with 1K0-953-549-CQ, which is the mid- or low-line version. The part number for the wiper switch with the MFI controls on it is 1K0-953-519-J-9B9. Don't forget that you'll need to code the new control module and also change the coding of the cluster to enable the MFI.

You know, now that I think of it, I got a new module because I was adding a multi-function steering wheel (I just wanted a leather wheel--the steering wheel buttons and MFI were a bonus). Maybe if you are only adding a switch you won't need a new module. However, I did try to enable the MFI in the cluster before I put the new module and steering wheel in and the cluster would not accept the coding. There is a possibility that adding the switch would be enough to allow the cluster to accept the new coding, but to be honest, I doubt it. It might be worth a try, though.
I'll give it a go if I end up going with the JSW and report back. :thumbup: Thanks!

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Keep in mind that the info above is for 2010 only. The column innards were substantially changed for 2011. VW combined ~5 parts into 2. The turn signal and wiper switches are now one part. The spiral sping and steering column control module are the other.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Oh look! I made a picture! :)

#4 and #6 used in 2010 are combined into #2 used in 2011. There is only one version of #2 listed in the catalog, but keep in mind (just like with 2010's #6) there might be a few versions used in production. Only one is used as a replacement, though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.