VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just starting to collecting information on the Jetta TDI to be used as a possible replacement of current car. I would appreciate all feedback to help make a purchase decision. Please include your opion how the Jetta TDI handles in the snow. Thanks in advance for your reply.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Re: Jetta TDI feedback requested. (rhino34420)

i have had several diesels in the past but this new TDI i have is awesome, could not be happier, i got a 2k jetta and drive it in the snow just fine, if you are really concerned about winter driving (your sig says florida
and new york ) in the snow get some meaty tires and you will be fine, vw's are front wheel drive and really climb well up a mountain, i used to take my old rabbit diesel up and down the mountain all the time, i don't really like to drive my car in the snow or bad weather, hate to see my car all dirty.. i need to move south where the warm weather will help me stay happier a bit longer and i don't have to endure this cold cold weather up here in the northeast..
Good luck with your purchase, if i was you i would also research Fred's page http://www.tdiclub.com for a wealth of information about TDIs and diesels.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Re: Jetta TDI feedback requested. (TDI-NEVER-DIE)

I have a 2002 Jetta TDI GLS with automatic transmission (you didn't state if you have a preference). Bought new in May 2002. It now has over 10,300 miles. Handles great, crisp and predictable. Fuel economy tends in the low-mid 30's in mixed highway/local driving (with plenty of lights and stop-and-go).
I also thought you ment the states of Florida and New York in your sig. Then I remembered that there is a Florda in NY (its in Orange County, off Route 17). I drive up there regularly in the summer (my inlaws spend the summer in the Monticello area, and winter in Boca Raton. Part of the trips includes the climb at Wurtsbourogh (Exit 113). 1000 ft up in 4 miles. The TDI has no trouble making it with a full trunk and myself, wife and daughter in car.
Good luck with your decision.
Stuart

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Re: Jetta TDI feedback requested. (DieselLover)

i love mine but have never been w/i 100 miles of snow with it. jetta gls 5spd 2002. ya might as well order it w/ esp if you are going to be snow bound and i'd imagine your already planning on the cold weather package. leather and heated seats are nice and i'd strongly suggest the wagon model.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Re: Jetta TDI feedback requested. (pkagel)

I think Dieselover's car has issues. I have never got less than 45 mpg. on my daily commute through the crappy traffic of atlanta. 18 miles oneway, takes over an hour. That's intown driving and mine has a been chipped.
Over all very good car. No snow driving input.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Re: Jetta TDI feedback requested. (gti sdd)

quote:[HR][/HR]
I think Dieselover's car has issues. I have never got less than 45 mpg. on my daily commute through the crappy traffic of atlanta. 18 miles oneway, takes over an hour. That's intown driving and mine has a been chipped.
Over all very good car. No snow driving input. [HR][/HR]​
I also tend to be heavy with the right foot.
Snow driving with stock tires (Goodyear Eagles) is okay. We'll see how much better when I replace them in a year or two.
Stuart

1 - 8 of 8 Posts