VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone. I figured I'd use this platform to document things I do to my car. I've already got some stuff done so I'll update the thread showing how she sits today and any future mods. I've been following roger2050 and .:KindiGTI from day one and got a lot of inspiration from those guys :thumbup:. More updates to come..

2015 Pure White LP GTI SE 6MT
Production date: 08/26/2014
Purchase Date: 11/16/2014

Mods
-Urotuning rear wiper delete
-deAutokey LED license plate bulbs
-Injen CAI
-Vogtland Coilovers
-Golf R Talladega 18x7.5 et51 with 10mm spacers in the front and 20mm spacers in the rear
-Stock Pirelli All Season tires
-GFB DV+
-Spulen short shifter
-Torque Solutions shifter end-link cable bushings
-Raceseng Sphereology shift knob
-034 Motorsport billet aluminum dogbone mount insert
-Volvo rear plate bracket
-Homelink unit retrofitted to upper console (DIY http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...Upper-Console-Removal&p=89033442#post89033442)
-Removed clutch bleeder block restrictor
-Xuji black perforated leather steering wheel cover
-Euroswitch
-Osram cool blue hyper H7 5000K cornering bulbs
-Rolled front fenders
-Suntek CXP 35% tint all around
-Debadged rear GTI emblem
-Clutch stop

11/16/2014

Purchase day! I was at the dealership so long and ready to leave that I FORGOT to tell them not to put the front plate on:banghead:

Came from an MKIV Jetta 2.0

With my dog Lilo

11/25/2014

Quick shot of the fiance's car and my GTI. The Jetta enjoying it's last time residing in the garage.

12/27/2014

Installed the VWR Springs (sorry didn't take a picture of them installed)

5/1/2015
Bought some Rotiform BLQ's! :heart:Craigslist finds

5/7/2015

Sumitomo HTR Z III 225/35 tires delivered by Tire Rack. Lilo approves :thumbup:

5/16/2015

Installed the Vogtland coilovers supplied by ACHTUNING

5/29/2015

Finally installed the Rotiforms and lowered the coilovers a little more.

6/2/2015
GFB DV+ install. It was very easy and straight forward. Only drove the car a couple blocks so far as a test drive. The accelerator pedal feels more responsive (in my opinion) and valve itself sounds more noticeable compared to stock.

Ordered and on the way:
-Neuspeed Power Module
-Euroswitch
-Ross Tech Micro-CAN VCDS

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a sneak peak of Raceseng's Sphereology shift knob pictured on the right (Orbature is the left knob). Jarrett, from the company, sent me this since he hasn't had a real shoot yet. It is part of their hybrid line which has a stainless steel core and Delrin interchangeable thread cover.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Car looks awesome (good pics too!). I think I would've preferred the black BLQs :laugh: but you got a good price :thumbup: Looking forward to your next update :beer:
I was definitely considering black wheels, but when I would see cars with black wheels you can't even tell what they are unless you look close. So I'm happy with my decision in choosing the machined finish.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
how are the vogtland coilovers? your ride height looks pretty decent... how do they ride? any regrets?
They are great. Considering I paid around $800 for them as a low cost coilover option and non adjustable dampening, they ride very comfy to my liking. I'm on 225/35 tires and I feel the ride is great for daily driving. It is functional and haven't hit a speedbump that I couldn't get over yet (cross fingers), although I do avoid any speedbumps at all costs lol. FTG measurements I am at are:

Front Driver: 24 3/16"
Rear Driver: 24 4/16"

Front Passenger: 24 2/16"
Rear Passenger: 24 3/16"

Even enough for me.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
6/3/2015

Took the car in today for the free 10k oil change. I DID just change it at 7,500 mi because forgot I even had the first oil change for free at that time. If I would have remembered I would have done so at 5,000 mi instead. I figured I might as well get it done since I technically already paid for it.

Also, came home for lunch and got a pleasant gift from USPS. Bushings supplied by USP Motorsports and I found a great deal on the Spulen SS through Amazon Prime. Hopefully I'll have time tonight to install them.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
6/3/2015 continued..

So I was able to put in the Spulen SS and Torque Solutions shifter cable bushings tonight. Both installs were very straight forward and the tutorials USP Motorsports provided helped. The bushing in the side-to-side arm was a hassle to get out though. Rowing through the gears now definitely feels more crisp and precise compared to stock. I adjusted the front to back throw the same as the video from USP. The stock shifter wasn't bad by any means, but this is for sure an upgrade in my opinion.

Before Video with stock shifter

After Video (not sure if this really shows the difference) - sorry it was dark already when I recorded

·
Registered
745 Posts
Oh man, those Rotis are leeeeeegit. They're on my list, for sures. The torque solutions shifter bushings w/the short shifter is one of my favourite mods. Shifting is so much more solid and precise (especially with the heavier knob). Nice build so far!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good job. How do the Sumitomo's perform?
The Sumitomos have been good so far. Good dry traction, but wet traction is still to be tested. I will never track this car and I just needed some tires that can handle the daily rigors and some spirited driving here and there. These have fit the bill so far. What sold me was the Tire Tack comparison test which tested these vs. Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110, and Kumho Ecsta LE Sport. The Sumitomos finished second in the combined rating behind the Dunlops and rated high in all the test categories. Plus they were the cheapest of em all!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh man, those Rotis are leeeeeegit. They're on my list, for sures. The torque solutions shifter bushings w/the short shifter is one of my favourite mods. Shifting is so much more solid and precise (especially with the heavier knob). Nice build so far!
Thanks man. I feel like the pictures don't do them enough justice. They look really good in person.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
6/4/2015

I installed the Raceseng Sphereology shift knob last night. This thing has significant weight over the stock knob and the craftsmanship is top notch. It looks great, compliments the interior, won't get too hot/cold to touch, and will last a long time. I was initially planning to get BFI's Air Leather GS2 knob cause that thing just looks awesome. Two concerns I had for that is the adhesive coin put on top and the longevity of the air leather. The Sphereology has an engraved shift gate and removable derlin cover. If anything were to happen to the derlin, I can simply unscrew it and purchase a new one. Those two factors helped make my decision easier and have no regrets after installing the knob. It took me some time to properly line up the leather boot since it bunches up, but other than that everything was easy. Thanks bearhaus for providing the 'how to' thread.

Packaging

KEEP IN MIND THIS SCALE PROBABLY ISN'T THE MOST ACCURATE

Stock knob with all associated pieces pulled form shifter arm

·
Registered
607 Posts
The Sumitomos have been good so far. Good dry traction, but wet traction is still to be tested. I will never track this car and I just needed some tires that can handle the daily rigors and some spirited driving here and there. These have fit the bill so far. What sold me was the Tire Tack comparison test which tested these vs. Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110, and Kumho Ecsta LE Sport. The Sumitomos finished second in the combined rating behind the Dunlops and rated high in all the test categories. Plus they were the cheapest of em all!
Thanks for that review and your use case is pretty much the same as mine. I won't be tracking the car and just need better traction than what the Pirellis provide. I order a set yesterday and they're sitting at my door now! Can't wait to get them on the new wheels Sunday. The price was right and since I was going to get the EVO's before these seem to be right on par with them.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for that review and your use case is pretty much the same as mine. I won't be tracking the car and just need better traction than what the Pirellis provide. I order a set yesterday and they're sitting at my door now! Can't wait to get them on the new wheels Sunday. The price was right and since I was going to get the EVO's before these seem to be right on par with them.
In that case, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Post up some pics once you mount them!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.