VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So you don't hear about JHMotorsports very much on 4T, so I wanted to toss up a thread to create some talk about the JHMotorsport busing and linkage upgrades.
Ever since I was comparing short shfiters and learned of JHMotorsports I had been debating the solid linkage upgrade and the solid stabilizer bushing upgrade. It wasn't a top tier priority, but it was a little irritating. Knowing that there was a solution out there made that irritation fester and finally the other day I just said screw it, I'm ordering the parts.
I held off as long as I did because $130 seemed like a lot to pay for something so small, and because the install looked like a bit of a pain, but even after a few hours with the parts in the car I can tell you that it was well worth it. At 113k my stock bushing and linkage were clearly starting to get a bit soft, and the difference with this installed is dramatic.
You immediately notice the improvement in the feeling of your front to rear motion, as the upgraded stabilizer bushing keeps the entire shifting assembly tightly in place. That soft feel you have at the end of your throw is gone, and your action is nice and smooth.
The feeling of the solid linkage itself becomes evident when your're shifting on the road, as the slop removed makes your shifting much more precise. For instance, I used to notice the play on my shifter when I downshifted esp from 3rd to 2nd, but with the JHM upgrade the transmission just slides right into place so I can downshift more confidently.
I would say without a doubt that this upgrade was a great use of time and money. True your life won't end without it, but if you care about your shfiting enough to install a short shfiter then you should definetly just go through with it and upgrade everything possible in the assembly.
Links:
Stabilizer bushing - http://www.jhmotorsports.com/p....html
Solid linkage upgrade - http://www.jhmotorsports.com/products/linkage.html
Pics:
Stabilizer bushing

Solid linkage upgrade

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Re: JHMotorsports Solid shifter linkage and solid stabilizer bushing upgrade (robbyb413)

Looks like the linkage may not work with the 97's. I still may get the bushings though, it should help out at least a little bit.

·
Banned
7,047 Posts
Re: JHMotorsports Solid shifter linkage and solid stabilizer bushing upgrade (unorthodoksa4)

robby, can you give a quick run thru of the install? is it all done in the car, or do you need to fiddle around under the hood or car any?

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Re: JHMotorsports Solid shifter linkage and solid stabilizer bushing upgrade (sirswank)

Quote, originally posted by sirswank »
robby, can you give a quick run thru of the install? is it all done in the car, or do you need to fiddle around under the hood or car any?

as far as i can tell its all at the tranny, so i would guess under the car

·
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: JHMotorsports Solid shifter linkage and solid stabilizer bushing upgrade (sirswank)

It's pretty easy. The basic walkthrough:
Inside car:
1) Unscrew shift knob
2) Pop off tripto get to shifter bucket
3) remove the 2 10mm bolts holding on the cover top of the sifter bucket, remove cover
4) remove 6mm hex bolt on stabilizer rod
5) remove 6mm hex bolt on shift linkage
Now under the car. The stuff is all located in the tunnel, so slide under and get yourself right under your flex pipe. Look up above the mount holding your downpip to the car and you'll see your work area:
1) loosen 10mm bolt holding shift linkage onto transmission, I turned it maybe 5 times
2) push linkage rod back toward bucket to get it off the tranny
3) move yourself back a bit to the shift bucket, you'll see where the linkage rod goes through the boot. grab the boot so it doesn't rip and pull the rod out of the boot, set the linkage rod aside.
4) go back to the flex pipe area, find the stabilzer rod end, grab an 8mm hex key and undo the bolt
- this step is worthy of a few notes, as it's kind of a pain
- there is very little room to work, so I modified an allen key to work. I cut half of the lenght off the short end of the allen key, so that I could get the tool in the space between the bolt and the exhaust tunnel wall.
- you can spin the bolt out halfway before you run out of room at the head, so at the point just get a set of slip-joint pliers and use it to grab the threads and spin the bolt out... you're not re-using it so don't worry about wrecking it.
5) now slide back to the shift bucket again, grab the boot to keep it from ripping, and slide the stabilizer rod out.
Ok so everything is out of the car, time to swap the parts.
Bushing:
- pop your allen key into the head of the bolt, gently grab the lower washer with a wrench, and spin it off. Don't wreck it, you'll use it again.
- Push the OE bushing and bolt out of the rod.
- pop the two halves of the repalcement bushing into the end of the rod, making sure the THINNER of the to is on the side toward the car
- put some grease in there and slide the metal collar into the middle of them. Mine went right in, but you may need a wrench to squeeze them together.
- take the supplied bolt, and slide the supplied washer onto it.
- now take the OE washer you carefully removed a few moments ago and thread it onto the bolt all the way up to the head.
- your'e done here. When you re-install you will just slide the bolt assembly into the bushing and bolt it down.
Solid linkage:
- drill out all 4 rivets. I had to go fairly deep to get them out
- support the assembly on a workbench for stability, pop out the rods formerly rivited in place.
- reassembly is kind of specific... you need to be sure that the allen bolt with the head that has been machined down is on the side of the rod that will be against the transmission. So that means take the rod, and look down on it as if it's installed and you're viewing it from above. The left side of the rod will be the side agsinst the transmission, and the machined bolt head needs to be on the left side. You could just look at the picture online to figure this part out though...
- also, the kit comes with plastic washers. These go between the solid linkage piece and the rods.
- bolt evertthing together with the washers between the solid linkage piece and the rod ends, not between the bolts and the rod ends.
Now hop under the car... reassembly is wicked easy, just reverse the above process. Some key pointers though:
- lube the heck outta the ends of the rods that have to go back through the boot.. They will slide in easy as pie. If you don't do this they are not going anywhere.
- make sure that when you bolt the end of the shift linkage rod that bolts to the tranny back in place it is seated properly. there is a dimple in the piece you're bolting it to for the bolt to go into. I actually went in the car and positioned the rod and bolted it back to the shifter loosely THEN went back under the car and got this lined up.
- make sure sure that when you put the stabilizer rod back in you sldie it back into the reciever on the shifter assembly in the car and put the allen bolt back in to hold it there before bolting it down under the car. Don't forget to do this, it's important!
- don't forget to re-align your shift linkage or you won't be driving anywhere... well, you might be able to go, but you won't have five speeds...
That's the quick run down off the top of my head. Wicked easy. Do it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Re: JHMotorsports Solid shifter linkage and solid stabilizer bushing upgrade (robbyb413)

Did you already have a JHM short shifter or did you do this upgrade with everything else being stock.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Re: JHMotorsports Solid shifter linkage and solid stabilizer bushing upgrade (teg92)

Quote, originally posted by teg92 »
Did you already have a JHM short shifter or did you do this upgrade with everything else being stock.

ebay short shifter

·
Registered
196 Posts
Re: JHMotorsports Solid shifter linkage and solid stabilizer bushing upgrade (.Mad Hatter.)

I LOVE mine. next up is getting the jhm short shifter. big improvement over stock esp. when you have 136k on the clock. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
588 Posts
Re: JHMotorsports Solid shifter linkage and solid stabilizer bushing upgrade (STS9king)

I have a '97 and plan on going the ebay route as well. When I have the center console disassembled to see the linkage and what not, I may have to fabricate a custom linkage to reduce the play. I'll post pics and keep it simple if it works out in a few weeks. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Re: JHMotorsports Solid shifter linkage and solid stabilizer bushing upgrade (Kingklick15)

robby(and anyone else with the delrin bushings), do you notice an increase in cabin noise? it seems now like i can actually hear the driveshaft spinning. either that or the transmission is vibrating and i can hear it because it increases and decreases with engine speed.
i also put on street density tranny mounts, so i assume that would lock things down and increase noise even more.

·
17,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: JHMotorsports Solid shifter linkage and solid stabilizer bushing upgrade (.Mad Hatter.)

I always think it sounds sorta like baseball cards slapping off bike spokes.

I have added some extra insulation around the shifter and around the tunnel where I could to deaden it, not so noticable after that.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts

ya its weird, JHM says its normal and i guess it makes sense since everything is locked down now (especially with the tranny mounts). its just somewhat scary to install something, turn your car on and think its going to fall apart, lol.
i thought about putting in some extra material as well.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts

and hold on, i see in the pic you posted:

there are like 300 washers on the stock unit and 1 on each side of the JHM, I only have 1, which switched sides when I put the JHM in as per the video. that pic must be of an S4 unit.
also the bushings are installed backwards.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Re: (goody6691)

i thought about getting the extension but i realized i only shift...maybe 5 times a lap on the auto-x course. after upgrading the bushings i really notice how sloppy the ebay shifter is. i just cant swallow $300 on the JHM right now

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Re: (.Mad Hatter.)

I have had the linkage, bushing, and short shifter on my car for over a year now and I love it. I will be ordering another setup from them when I finish my AWD set up on my corrado with an Audi tranny and VR6 engine.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Re: (vwboost)

X2. have been running the complete set up for about a year and love it. puts my previous B&M set up to shame.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Re: (goody6691)

Quote, originally posted by goody6691 »
got it all done tonight. awesome setup, audi made it quite difficult

ya no kidding...

·
Registered
12 Posts
audi shifter bushing jh motorsports

i purchased thhe jhmotorsports short shifter kit with both sets of bushings and of course i have the 97 audi a4 that has the different style bushing instead of the t shaped one do they sell one just for 97s or anyway i can buy a shifter linkage bar off someone with a later model year so i can use the new bushing anyone who has purchased the jhm bushings will know what im talking about on this someone must have a 97 with the same style bushing instead of the regular t style one that most of the b5s have
can anyone help me out with this?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts