VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Just happened to stumble along this picture which got a sort of :eek: reaction from me.

Never heard of this before. It seems like an awfully dumb idea.

Anybody know the reason these never took off? Too expensive, or just too undesirable?

These things look like they would have the sidewall stiffness of a week old balloon.

Any one here ever driven on them? Know anyone that has?

I know we've had plenty of threads like this, but if you know of any other interesting car inventions like this, feel free to post them up.

·
Registered
13,314 Posts
maybe cost prohibitive? looks like a special wheel required? double the labor to install on each corner? special equipment to mount/balance?

·
33,221 Posts
I would bet this is where Goodyear got the idea for the Aquatread tires.
it is.

I used to race for Twin Tire (sponsor). I'll post up picks.

I was the only car to race in the Nevada Open Road Challenge with four flat tires. :p

the biggest issue was weight. but even today it's not uncommon to have a 50 lb wheel/tire package.

these, at the time were a 16" fittment. my 914-6 has a custome set that run 105/95-R16 and the 928 raced on "stock" 125/85-R-16.

Avon and Toyo made the tires back then, and with all of the technology changes since the idea was put to use, I am sure they could make a 19" or 20" fittment comparable in weight.

it was pretty neat to be able to run on a flat and not have to stop.

·
Registered
15,300 Posts
it is.

I used to race for Twin Tire (sponsor). I'll post up picks.

I was the only car to race in the Nevada Open Road Challenge with four flat tires. :p

the biggest issue was weight. but even today it's not uncommon to have a 50 lb wheel/tire package.

these, at the time were a 16" fittment. my 914-6 has a custome set that run 105/95-R16 and the 928 raced on "stock" 125/85-R-16.

Avon and Toyo made the tires back then, and with all of the technology changes since the idea was put to use, I am sure they could make a 19" or 20" fittment comparable in weight.

it was pretty neat to be able to run on a flat and not have to stop.
:thumbup: Looking forward to seeing some pics!

I remember these. They came and went pretty quickly and I do recall there being concerns about weight. Still a neat idea, though.

·
33,221 Posts
:thumbup: Looking forward to seeing some pics!

I remember these. They came and went pretty quickly and I do recall there being concerns about weight. Still a neat idea, though.
taken a while....the old computer crashed and I'm working at getting the pics off the old drive (damned windows security)

more to come.... from 1996

·
Registered
Bluestar, NA, V227
15,334 Posts
You had to get them mail order or from a select few brick and mortar stores that carried them. There was no marketing other than car magazines. IOW the public didn't even know the thing existed.

·
Banned
13,776 Posts

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
It's amazing how circular technology and marketing is.

The current trend in semi truck wheels and tires is to go single wheel instead of dual, to reduce rolling resistance.

Yet 20 years ago, here was a company trying to convince the world that twins were perfect for the family hauler. Circular indeed.

·
33,221 Posts
1996? I didn't realize they were produced that recently. I thought this was a brainchild of the 80's.

What were they like to drive on, Larry? They didn't look to have an especially short sidewall, but perhaps with a narrow tread width it didn't matter as much?
in the race we actually ran with 1 tire flat (no air) in each corner. the only car to ever run the event with four flat tires! we came 2nd in GS class.:thumbup: yes Jerry Juhan came up with them in the mid-80's. the company was bought by an Indonesian conglomerate in the late 90's but eventually floundered to death.

they drive fine, it was just a heavier than std unsprung weight....with the advent of exotic and CHEAP alloy wheels, the idea died. turn in was always good, braking excellent (even on track), feedback was very good....they communicated better than you'd imagine. also, if you ran extra camber (like we did with the 928 on road courses) you could replace the inner tire only, since it took the brunt of the punishment. on my 914-6, the tire NEVER wore out. :p so obviously the weight of the car did affect the wear life.

these tires (avon made units) were basically reinforced motorcycle tires. added reinforcement was for the weight capacity. installing them wasn't too different from a normal tire, you'd install one side, flip the wheel/rim and then install the other side/tire. getting the bead to set wasn't difficult. removal was reversed. I don't have any more new tires for the wheels, so they are mostly for show now. I'm betting I could buy new motorcycle tires in the same size and run them on the 914-6, but not the 928.

·
Registered
41,655 Posts
taken a while....the old computer crashed and I'm working at getting the pics off the old drive (damned windows security)

more to come.... from 1996
Wowzers! I've never seen them in real life.

Pretty much same bs as Michelin's PAX. Special wheels, huge pain in the ass.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts