VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would one go about getting one? This is what I've always wanted to do. I am a strong writer, so I could write articles, and then get to test all the awesome cars!
Anyone have any ideas? I know SOMEONE from EuroTuner is on here, maybe shed some light on the criteria?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Ive often thought about going to school for this, but I ended goin the engineering route. Id love to have a job in the auto mag industry, especially Car and Driver

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that a Masters in M.E. is required, as well as some experience in journalism or an English minor. I would imagine that most leading magazines could be as choosy as they wish. Good luck.

·
2011 BMW 328i xDrive Touring 6MT ZSP
48,554 Posts
Re: (nuxx)

Quote, originally posted by nuxx »
I remember reading somewhere that a Masters in M.E. is required, as well as some experience in journalism or an English minor. I would imagine that most leading magazines could be as choosy as they wish. Good luck.

I doubt that an ME degree is REQUIRED although it certainly helps.

·
Registered
'20 Kia Telluride SX, '17 Mazda CX-5, '07 Airstream Safari SE 23'
11,090 Posts
Re: ([email protected])

An ME degree isn't required, although it sure does help. What seems to help more is to offer to work for a car magazine as an unpaid intern for a while. Obviously, the ability to write, and having some published articles out there, helps a lot too.
I know 3 former car magazine writers who now work for us, and all would tell you that the job isn't all it's cracked up to be - lots of ghost-writing for the engineers, endless travel for mundane new car introductions, endless marketing drivel, and quite a few really egotistical personalities....
Tom

·
Registered
10,117 Posts
Re: (mutcth)

Quote, originally posted by mutcth »
An ME degree isn't required, although it sure does help. What seems to help more is to offer to work for a car magazine as an unpaid intern for a while. Obviously, the ability to write, and having some published articles out there, helps a lot too.
I know 3 former car magazine writers who now work for us, and all would tell you that the job isn't all it's cracked up to be - lots of ghost-writing for the engineers, endless travel for mundane new car introductions, endless marketing drivel, and quite a few really egotistical personalities....
Tom

Not to mention piss-poor salaries. The perks of an automotive journalism career are great but the salary sucks (from what I've been told).

·
Registered
11,090 Posts
Re: (Old school)

Quote, originally posted by Old school »
Not to mention piss-poor salaries. The perks of an automotive journalism career are great but the salary sucks (from what I've been told).

You're right. A friend who worked at Automobile back in the early 1990s was making a sheer pittance; less than 1/2 of what I made as an entry-level engineer. Csaba Csere wrote that his pay was cut 1/3 from what he made at Ford as an engineer.
A lot of automobile writers do freelance work on the side, or then go on to a much more lucrative career working PR for a car company or writing ad copy.
Tom

·
Registered
11,090 Posts
Re: ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »
I can recall that article. Not surprising though, he started out pretty much at the bottom, didn't he?

Somewhat. There is a hierarchy at car magazines. The engineers typically hold an exalted position. He would have made more money as a technical editor than someone starting out would have with a journalism degree in a general editor position.
Tom

·
Registered
14,288 Posts
Re: Jobs for Car magazines? (vduBen)

Quote, originally posted by vduBen »
Go to school for M.E. and journalism, then post this again.

Some schools don't allow two majors or one major in one minor if they're in seperate schools. I know that if you'rea journalism major at CU, you cannot be anything else except for something within the arts and science division.

This thread is great:) I dream of becoming an automotive editor, but I don't think i'd ever have the technical expertise or real world experience that would be sufficient to land a job at the only rag I work for; Car and Driver.
Mlah.

·
Registered
2021 Ford F-150, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2003 Porsche 911 C4S, 1982 VW Rabbit
7,261 Posts
Re: Jobs for Car magazines? (SuperGroove)

haha If I were to get a degree in journalism also I'd be at school for 8 years...
One ME degree is enough for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts