·
Registered
13,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D:D:laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I'm hyped for this one. Joaquin looks like he's going to rock this character.

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
36,315 Posts
I'm having trouble getting excited for this one. looks like it will be a fine movie but I'm not super interested in a Joker movie outside the comic book universe. Becomes just another psychopath. I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
13,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He is crazy enough irl to act Joker.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
looks like it will be a fine movie but I'm not super interested in a Joker movie outside the comic book universe. Becomes just another psychopath. I guess we'll see.
This pretty much, and more like a fed-up psychopathic clown.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts

·
Learning New Things Every Day.
'12 Earth F**ker '12 A4q '18 Q3
17,761 Posts

·
17,761 Posts
I'm going to see it tonight. I'm actually fairly excited.
Try not to shoot anyone on your way out as you begin to embody the social decay "everyone" is saying this movie is advocating. :p

·
Registered
7.4, 5.7. 2.0T
18,399 Posts
I loved it. Joker is my favorite comic book villain but this would have been a great movie even if it were not part of the DC/Batman universe and just a story about some random deranged dude (it reminds me a lot of Taxi Driver from 40+ years ago, which also stars Robert De Niro). Joaquin Phoenix should receive numerous accolades for his acting - his Joker is uniquely his own and his laugh is brilliant. Great cinematography and score as well.

·
Chili Bigot
A muscle car (mine), a bugout vic (hers), and a beater (the boy's)
20,086 Posts
Saw it over the weekend. Technically, it was excellent, but there were a couple of issues... Some of the tone and pacing got a little stumbly; especially at the end. Fleck's transition to Joker was clear, but his final conversation with Murray (DeNiro) seemed off... Like, out of place with how his character changed. Knowing how weird Joaquin Phoenix is, it wouldn't surprise me if he went off-script for that scene. Maybe he was trying to recreate his infamous interview with David Letterman. :p

But again, so many awesome technical moments! You could tell how each shot was framed with care. Much has been said of the homages to Taxi Driver and King of Comedy, but there's a lot of references to Silence of the Lambs and The Exorcist.

I also really liked that, though the movie isn't canonical, it didn't actually change any of the DC canon. It was handled very deftly.

·
Registered
'14 Boxster S, '18 Mazda 3
7,274 Posts
I also really liked that, though the movie isn't canonical, it didn't actually change any of the DC canon. It was handled very deftly.
Did we really need to see the Waynes get murdered again? Pearls flying everywhere again? It would have been much more powerful for that scene to be left to the imagination, cutting away after the dude in the joker masks sees them walk down the alley.

·
17,761 Posts
Did we really need to see the Waynes get murdered again? Pearls flying everywhere again? It would have been much more powerful for that scene to be left to the imagination, cutting away after the dude in the joker masks sees them walk down the alley.
Wow. How about #spoileralerts?!?!

:laugh:

·
Chili Bigot
A muscle car (mine), a bugout vic (hers), and a beater (the boy's)
20,086 Posts
I had the same thought, but decided I didn't mind it. Besides, the pearls falling is pretty iconic and showing it is fan service, IMO. The thing that I really liked about that scene is how it potentially mashes up two versions of the trigger man; Joe Chill and later on Joker himself (Tim Burton?). My imagination tells me that it was Joe Chill in the mask inspired by Joker. That's pretty cool.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts