VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got a used 2016 Golf-R with wired CarPlay - I believe it is MIB II. Decided to try one of those USB dongles to get wireless CarPlay. So I did some research and decided to go with JoyeAuto dongle. It arrived and when connected to USB, does not even appear to power up. Car does not see a new Bluetooth thing to pair with. Tried it in a known good USB port in my house just to see if it was any different, but still nothing.

Anyone else using this device? Should it have any sort of indicator that it is on and getting power?

I have tried contacting manufacturer (I bought it direct from them), but am feeling like nobody's home. I got a quick response to my first email telling me to try X,Y,Z but when I reported back to them that none of those things worked, I've heard nothing. Yes, I know it is the holidays. Just feeling a little frustrated at the poor response.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I had to look up the product that you were trying to use.... and now I can see.... its suppose to provide wireless as long as you have CarPlay in the deck (as you indicated you do, just requires the USB cable to be connected) - and if you tried the same USB connector that you use to hardware your phone to your Radio Head, then it would seem you might have a faulty JoyeAuto dongle.

Not sure what exactly the dongle is looking for or if its suppose to emulate the iPhone as a device.... yet I see that there are other versions and variations that could be purchased (such as one for Android)

If anything, I would request a new one, ensure its for the correct device you are connecting up (in this case I assume its an iPhone) and then make sure the iPhone is running the lates iOS.

Not much help, but something is better than nothing.

Good Luck! Let us know what happens......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This vendor (JoyeAuto) ghosted me - they send a non-operational product and then would not even respond to an RMA request. I would recommend avoiding this vendor as I now stand to lose $185 on this piece of junk, plus the $65 it cost to ship it back to China to prove to PayPal that I had returned it anyway. I purchased a CarLink 2.0 from Amazon that does the same thing - while I suspect all these off shore products are developed by one person or persons, this CarLink 2.0 from Amazon works and I've been able to converse with the vendor using WhatsApp. (There is a full review on AppleInsider.com) It links automatically with my phone as soon as I turn on the car, avoiding the need for a cable connection.

·
Registered
2011 Jetta Sportwagen S 2.5L; 2021 Hyundai KONA SEL
164 Posts
Bill, thanks much for posting this thoughtful warning.

About what you ended-up using:
Is it Carlink 2.0 or CarlinKit 2.0? I just want to make sure I "research" the right thing.
I am interested in getting one device like this because my Chinese head unit just doesn't want to link to my phone for "mirroring", even though I'm using the OEM S8's cable. Not that I necessarily need it badly, but I see that the Android version is a fraction of the cost compared to Apple. Tks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts