VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the next couple of months I'm going to be in the market for a new car, and I'd like to know how the JSW is in terms of hauling large breed dogs around. I have looked at everything from Xterras to Elements, and Outbacks to Escapes, but I always end up back at the JSW. The price of a well equipped S model as just about everything I want and fits nicely into my budget. However, I have some concerns.

I went to the dealer to look around at 2 models, the JSW and Tiguan. I quickly ruled out the Tiguan because of how shallow the hatch is. I doubt that I could even close the hatch with my dog inside.

However the JSW looked a little more promising. While the truck was deeper then the Tiguans, I was concerned about the height. This was an issue I noticed with alot of wagons. I'd like to know if any JSW + large breed dog owners have any issue with "head room" for their dogs in the back. Any input and/or pictures would be great. Thanks!

· Registered
96 Posts
My dog has to lower his head when he's in the car, which is good since it forces him to sit or lay down. We originally thought we would leave the back seat down so he would have a lot of room, but it ended up being too much and was pretty dangerous with him standing up since he's so big. Now with him just in the back he either sits and rests his head on the back seats or lays down. I'm currently looking for a custom dog pad to fit in the back for him so he's a bit more comfortable.

I've posted them in other threads, but what the hell

· Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think you accidentally posted pics of a horse; holy cow is your dog huge! :eek: I think if your dog can fit, mine would be just fine. beautiful dog btw :thumbup:

· Registered
96 Posts
Thanks! He's 38" at the shoulders and 14 months old. He should be about done growing tall, but will probably put on another 30 lbs or so.

I just ordered a custom dog pad for the back that is 40"x40"x2" in waterproof microfiber for $175 shipped. A little pricey but it will fit perfectly and my Dane won't get rug burn anymore. Got it from this place, which makes some weird stuff: http://www.bigdogbeds.com/custom_dog_beds.html

· Registered
4 Posts
I regularly haul around 3 dogs when we go on road trips. I have a 55 lb golden retriever, 70 lb black lab and a 35 lb terrier mix. No problems with them at all. This past weekend I had the two big ones with me while I also had 2 windsurfers on top and all of the sailing gear in the car.

This thing has plenty of room. Main reason I bought it was for the dogs.

We are doing a road trip in a few weeks. I'll probably get a Rocket Box for the top as a place to store stuff away from the hair. It tends to fly around a bit with the sunroof open.

Jason

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.