VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading to the junkyard soon and wondering what steering wheels from other car makes will fit right on???

Also looking for decent set of alloys. What wheels from other makes fit??

·
Registered
459 Posts
As far as wheels go anything 4x100 will fit.

I you have an early mk2 ('87 and older) it has the smaller splines on the steering shaft which will only be compatible with mk1's. Not sure about other makes but why would you want to anyways

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
You have to take the center bore of the wheel into mind. If its bigger than 57.1 yeah you can make it work easily. Smaller? You're going to have to do some machining.

IIRC E21's and E30's I believe are 57.1 as well.

·
Registered
15,226 Posts

I you have an early mk2 ('87 and older) it has the smaller splines on the steering shaft which will only be compatible with mk1's. Not sure about other makes but why would you want to anyways
Not true...Honda 4x100 wheels will need to be modified to fit, as the centerbore is less than 57.1mm....

as far as alloy wheels, you will want to know the specs, which is generally 4x100mm, centerbores larger than 57.1mm, and offsets in the general range of 40mm to 20mm.

Very few Mercedes, Porsche, or BMW wheels will fit due to the lack of high offset numbers....if you find an alloy wheel from a Mercedes, say, with a 16x7 size, and like a 50mm offset, then these would fit well with adapters, but say you find a BMW wheel, 16x7 with only an offset of 30mm, these will not fit with adapters because you'd end up with a final offset of 10mm, which, while considered "cool", will require fender cutting and rolling, and create too much "poke"....

so, hope that helped...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.