VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the forum, and then searched again, and then searched a final time, but I can't find a DIY for changing spark plugs and wires. Is there one? I think I can figure it out without a guide, but with only limited experience I'd rather have the pictures. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks

· Registered
2,055 Posts
Re: Just Another Newbie Trying to Figure Out Spark Plugs (suppperj)

This is one of the most straight forward jobs there is. A 5/8" socket with a decent extension and ratchet is needed. You have an MK4 so your plug wires should have the boot pullers built into them. All you have to do is pull up on the plastic handle that is attached to the end of the wire that connects directly to the spark plug. The coilpack end of the wire simply pulls right off the coilpack. Pictures really shouldnt be necessary, its really easy.

· Registered
1,576 Posts
Re: Just Another Newbie Trying to Figure Out Spark Plugs (suppperj)

MK4 VRs . . .
You're gonna have to remove all the plastic engine cover pieces. I forget what kind of screw holds them down . . . either a torx or a triple-square . . .
Now if you DO have the plastic boot pullers on your spark plug wires (I've seen some that don't, so this is just in case you do), you just pull up on that upside down U looking thing. If you can't quite get your fingers around it, you can use a flathead screwdriver and gently pry it up a bit. Careful with these btw, VW seems to have an affinity for brittle plastic in their engine bays. Gently pull up on them so as to remove the spark plug wire from the spark plug.
Do this for the remaining 5. It's best to remove the wires from their little "guides" so you can get good leverage when you're pulling.
Ok, now that you've got the wires off, removing the spark plugs is simple. Get the appropriate sized socket (I guess it's 5/8" according VR6225?) and an extension. And remember: "Lefty Loosey Righty Tighty."
If you plan on removing the spark plug wires from the coilpack, try to remember (or take a picture or draw a picture) of which wire goes to which post on the coilpack. I don't remember if the wires are numbered, but it doesn't really matter if you don't know which post is which number
. All the wires are different lengths anyways, so worst case . . . use your common sense
So anyways, if you're taking the wires off of the coilpack, GENTLY pull them off at the boot (ie. Don't pull on the wire, but rather at the black rubber end that actually goes into the coilpack). It may take a bit of wiggling and some force, but be careful that you don't break off the posts on the coilpack.
Everything after this should just be reverse of what you've done.
Hope I didn't forget anything.
Good luck. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Just Another Newbie Trying to Figure Out Spark Plugs (Groundskeeper)

That's perfect. This is exactly why I love the internet and car forums. Thanks for helping with such a mundane task.
Much appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.