VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I picked up a white 2002 TT 225 hp Quattro roadster with 71k miles on it. Carfax shows timing belt done at 57k so I'm good there. I see no definite records of the Quattro system getting serviced at all, I will be bringing her to the dealer for fluid changes. Or is this something I can do myself to save megacharges from Audi?

This is my first Audi but I've owned 2 VWs before. Is it ok to go to Autozone and get their $25 oil change special- synthetic oil with a Fram filter - or do I need to use Mann filters like the VR6 likes? I'm guessing the TT won't like anything from local auto parts stores...

Oh yea, in case you thought this was going to be a build thread, I do want to do some upgrades. Probably APR chip, new downpipe and exhaust for some extra power. Pretty sure I need new shocks but I don't know if I want lowering springs or not. And the car came with 245/35/19 tires on it, it seems a bit short sidewalled for a droptop so I might go down to 18".

Thoughts, questions, answers? :):beer:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Start reading the forums. Search for what you are asking.
Im a fan of OE filters and parts over all. Youll find that its hard to find many after market parts from parts stores.
Until you read up and feel comfortable turning wrenches let a tech turn them for you.
I didnt realize Carfax shows maintenance history. Mine didnt.
Do some research on tunes. APR is nice but their are many out there that may provide more for your money depending on what you are looking for.

Really, there is a wealth of information on here and other forums. The best thing to do is just read before you do anything.

Welcome to the family.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
buy another ccm for a spare when your fries and move it to the trunk when it doese
?

I will order some Mann filters for the car, and pick up whatever synthetic is on sale at local parts store when I do the oil change.

Mykal, what chip/tune do you recommend?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mykal, what chip/tune do you recommend?
I dont recommend any. I do not have a tune at this point.
It really depends on what you want out of your car and how much you buy in to the propaganda of each company.
From what I have read Gonzo Tuning, Giac, REVO, and Unitronics are the more aggressive tunes.
Most people have only tried one tune in their car so they are brand loyal in that aspect.
The best thing I can say is that you should read every thread you can find on the company and look for hard data vs opinions.
Some tunes offer options that others do not, 2 step, SAI CEL delete, etc. which is something else to factor in.

Good luck. :thumbup:

·
Banned
6,020 Posts
Welcome. Buy a Bentley manual and get your learn on. With some direction and some research, most things are doable. Most jobs require more guts than brains. I think most inexperienced wrenchers are usually only limited by their fear to tear **** apart. If you can think of something, I can almost guarantee that it's been covered on here. If you can't find what your looking for, let us know.
:wave:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Welcome. Buy a Bentley manual and get your learn on. With some direction and some research, most things are doable. Most jobs require more guts than brains. I think most inexperienced wrenchers are usually only limited by their fear to tear **** apart. If you can think of something, I can almost guarantee that it's been covered on here. If you can't find what your looking for, let us know.
:wave:
Bentley is OK... But VCDS and a boost gauge have proved invaluable for me, in addition to countless Vortex threads. I would say if you only have funds for one get the software first to help you and the rest of the community diagnose any issues you run into. I would check the vacuum system thoroughly for cracks and tears as it will leave you chasing your tail thinking other more expensive components have gone wrong. With that said, welcome and have fun :beer:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.