VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a old vagcom connector that works with my old computers 9-pin. I just bought a USB to 9-pin adapter and I can't seem to get it to recognize the cable. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong, or is it not going to work at all.
*All the drivers are installed

·
Vendor
ID.4, 997.1
15,434 Posts
Re: Just bought a Usb to 9 pin adapter, Will it work with vagcom? (bigweezy911)

This is what's going on:
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_1.html#1.5
USB<->Serial converters are often unable to handle the baud rate and timing requirements that are demanded by many control modules using the VAG protocols. We have had very poor results with most available USB<->RS-232 converters, therefore USB<->Serial converters are "Not Supported." Please do not ask us for technical assistance if you are using one of these converters.

·
Registered
57 Posts
yeah,
Ross Tech says their interfaces are the best .
Well , where are they made?? China, Croatia,
Hungary ...definetly not the USA . A lot of us dont have money falling out of our pockets in a deep recession. Very close to a depression
Bank of America , biggest bank in USA is treading on soft ground. Keneth Lewis CEO should resign. Why doesnt your company
back off from their territorial behavior.
I just want your program and an interface that doesnt cost me an arm and a leg
Thanks

·
Registered
902 Posts
Re: (8107rabbitman)

not our fault you live in the US, with a past corrupt president
I find the value for the ross-tech is worth it, and your negative propaganda, and 'feel sorry for me' attitude is your ultimate downfall.
I'll be buying the Ross-Tech cable and software shortly, gotta pay to play

·
Registered
1,592 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 8107rabbitman »
yeah,
Hungary ...definetly not the USA . A lot of us dont have money falling out of our pockets in a deep recession. Very close to a depression
Bank of America , biggest bank in USA is treading on soft ground. Keneth Lewis CEO should resign. Why doesnt your company
back off from their territorial behavior.
I just want your program and an interface that doesnt cost me an arm and a leg
Thanks

Please do us a favor.... sell your VW, get a bike, take the left over money and use it towards your education. I think we will all be happier.

·
Vendor
5,317 Posts

yeah,
Hungary ...definetly not the USA.

Let me set the record straight here.
* About 90% of the interfaces we've ever sold have been assembled in USA. The remainder were assembled in Canada. But as of about one year ago, they are ALL assembled in USA again.
* Since last summer, the OBD-II connector and shell is also made in USA. The previous ones were made in in Canada, but that vendor was talking about moving production to China, which was one of the factors that caused us to spend a big chunk of change on our own tooling to make this part here.
* We've gone out of our way to source as many components as possible domestically. No, it is not possible to get everything here. For example, we've not been able to find anyone who is willing to make the USB wires with over-molded strain reliefs in the USA, so that part does indeed come from the far east, but it's the only part we're sourcing there.
* We don't buy anything from Hungary or Croatia.
-Uwe-

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
Re: (Uwe)

HOO-RA!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
536 Posts
Re: (Uwe)

Thanks for trying to keep the manufacturing/assembly in the US!

I don't get why people think everything should be free. Do the realize the countless time put into developing the software? Also the fact that Ross-Tech has never charged for any software updates since I can remember (licensed user since 2003).
VAG-COM is a bargain for the price. If you don't believe so go price out a VAG 5052. I have a feeling you will be shocked!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Re: (jasonsp6)

Software doesn't cost anything - at least that is the common conception. It just like music, art, photography .... Why should one pay for the talent of the people who present and create these things? Why not just use technology to copy it and sell it for a lot less? That's a great way to get something for nothing.
Obviously, I am being as sarcastic as I can be. But there is a flaw in our thinking these days. Somehow we think that the people who put in the effort are rewarded by the effort to create. They don't need money. Most artists and creative people do not make a large living. They exist. They eek out that existence the same way you and I do - a little at a time.
Ross-Tech has always put the customer first. Uwe is committed to putting tools in the hands of the enthusiasts and the professionals that are reasonable in cost and high on performance.
For those that think our interfaces are just a bunch of wires, you should try to make your own interface that will work with all models from 1990 thru 2009 and beyond. Try the cables available from eBay - some work. Most don't and most don't cover all models, modules, perturbations and so on.
8107rabbitman, our product is not for everyone. Each person must determine value in their own way. But, it is not right for uninformed people to make derogatory comments about a product or it's producers.

Modified by bearthebruce at 11:27 AM 2-26-2009

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ross- Tech
Thats all well and good . Except for one main item - .anyone who works at having a monopoly on products. Even a simple
cable that could be mass produced for a small
amount. . And if it is wrong to shop and compare than that is sad state of affair . Real nice this arangement , but there
used to be one phone co in USA . Not any more . Im not questioning the software . Just the monopoly you want on the hardware . You say : quote -
Most don't and most don't cover all models, modules, perturbations and so on.
Neither do yours

·
Registered
721 Posts

Thats all well and good . Except for one main item - .anyone who works at having a monopoly on products.

Definition of a monopoly:
Quote »
A situation in which a single company owns all or nearly all of the market for a given type of product or service. This would happen in the case that there is a barrier to entry into the industry that allows the single company to operate without competition (for example, vast economies of scale, barriers to entry, or governmental regulation). In such an industry structure, the producer will often produce a volume that is less than the amount which would maximize social welfare.
http://www.investorwords.com/3112/monopoly.html

If we prevented others from making and distributing similar products, we then could be accused of monopolizing the market. But the fact is, the market is wide open. Anyone who wants to do what Ross-Tech has done is free to do so.
There are several products like ours on the market including products from VW themselves.
Ross-Tech, not having a monopoly, has the right to decide what hardware will be used with the software products we create. They are a system and the fact that you have a CAN based vehicle and you are left with few choices to run our software is just the facts of life. Other products exist in the market place. Buy them if you do not like our business model.
Quote »
Even a simple cable that could be mass produced for a small
amount.

You didn't read my post did you? I said, and I quote, "For those that think our interfaces are just a bunch of wires, you should try to make your own interface that will work with all models from 1990 thru 2009 and beyond."
What's stopping you from making said cheap cables since you know so much about it? And when you get your cable done, what would stop you from spending the countless hours finding all the information that is needed to actually do something with the data that might flow on your cable?
Have you any concept of how many hours went into creating this product? Have you any idea how many hours go into maintaining the product and keeping it up to date?
No - all you care about is that you don't want to spend $250 for a VCDS License with MicrCAN interface. You want the right to use our software for $99 or better yet free - as in shareware.
Guess what? We changed our business model in 2004 because the burden of staying current with VW/Audi became larger. As the CAN based cars came out we had to change our business model to stay in business. We needed more resources and people to do what we do for this industry.
You can get a VAS 5053 which will support your CAN based car and you get it for the bargain price of thousands of dollars.
There is at least one other product on the market that runs on a Palm Pilot. That one you can have for around $600. Hey, but Ross-Tech has a monopoly and they charge outrageous prices.
Quote »
And if it is wrong to shop and compare than that is sad state of affair .

And exactly where does this comment come from?

Again repeating what I said in my last post, "our product is not for everyone. Each person must determine value in their own way."
How is it you arrive at the thought that we are forcing you to buy Ross-Tech? Go search and find other products! They do exist. Ah - I know. You have heard that VCDS is the best. You want the best but you want to buy it for prices that were had in 2003 or 2004. Now I got it. I'm not too quick on the up swing am I?
Quote »
Most don't and most don't cover all models, modules, perturbations and so on.
Neither do yours

Care to share one VW/Audi module that you have found that VCDS does not cover and cannot communicate with?
Sir, you have yet to use our tool as your telephone conversation with Pencilneck yesterday proved. In that conversation, you hadn't even taken the time to read our web site.
(By the way, where do you get off thinking it is acceptable to call Pencilneck at the VW dealership in which he works to ask him to help you fix your car. You possess one thing in abundance - chutzpah!)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.