VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, yesterday I went to the local VW dealer looking to get a Jetta and I ended up walking away with a Passat.
It is a 2002 Passat GL, 1.8T 5spd. It has 63,000 miles and I got it for $11,000. I had it VW Certified which I feel is well worth it for the extra $750 I paid to do so, along with the 2 year/24k mile warranty it comes with. In addition, the dealership had a deal going that you buy a new or used VW and you get a free 30GB iPod! A nice $300 value. Overall, I extremely satisfied with my purchase. I'm 18 years old and I got financed all on my own with an interest rate of 6.9% which was awesome!
Anyways, this is my 2nd VW I've owned. I used to have a 1997 Jetta GLX VR6 but I sold it b/c it just had too many issues. I kept my trust with VW and bought another.
With this Passat, Im not planning on doing many mods yet. First, I just want to do my sound system. Thats what Im going to ask for help with. What do you guys have in yours? I'm looking to go with 6.5" components in the front and back. I do not have the Moonson system, just the stock 2din CD Player. I was thinking about getting the iPod adapter for this, what do you guys think about that?
So, just let me know what you guys feel about the sound system and what some good initial basic performance upgrades I should do.
Thanks in advance,
Matt

· Registered
2,005 Posts
Re: Just bought my 1st Passat (1fish2fish)

Matt,
Congrats on your new car! Can't answer any of your questions, but let me give you a bit of advice: use synthetic oil that meets VW spec 502.00 and keep to, at a maximum, 5,000 mile oil change interval, and keep every service receipt for your car.

· Registered
44 Posts
Congrats on the car!
Save some money for replacing the timing belt! I have no experience with Passats, but the 1.8T folks are all screaming to replace it somewhere between 60 and 75K miles. If you hang around these boards long enough you'll hear many, many timing belt horror stories.
I did mine at 62K. Parts are around 300 and labor runs between 300 and 600.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.