VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
* This is for the Audi 1.8t. Keep that in mind. *
Its time for me to open the exhaust up and am having some thoughts. I have a techonics high flow cat on the way and it got me thinking. Can I just weld a Otec dump tube on there after my cat and run an open exhaust when I want to? The cat on my car is directly bolted to the turbo so the set-up would work great in theory. The dump tube would be 2.25 so the stock exhaust would still perform like it should. I work at a VW/Audi shop so putting everything on isnt an issue but does anyone see any flaws in my plan?
Thanks in advance.
P.F.V.

·
Registered
25,085 Posts
Re: Just call me crazy..(dump tupe) (HarvVAG)

a quick search shows that most people have the 3" version, and there are more than a few reports of the electric butterfly failing to open correctly after time.
I searched for 'qtp' in the archives http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
2,247 Posts

I would but it before the cat (off road use only), and after the 1st 02 sensor.
I gained 10whp and 15wtq with it open vs closed.
Just to let you know None of the dump tube setups out there seal 100%, I don't care who makes it.
Few people have used hi-temp silicone around the butterfly to form some kind of seal, and it's working for them without leaks.
What used to fail on the QTP unit is the gear box, the screws that holding it/the motor together would vibrate loose after a while and it would get stuck open/closed.
Last time I talked to Barry from QTP, they started using loctite on all of the screws and went with a better motor
Here's a pic of my setup.

Open vs. closed dyno
Edit: don't forget, when it's in closed position, it's going through high flow cat and 2.5" C/B, I assume there would've been bigger difference if it went through stock exhaust.

Modified by 18bora at 1:10 AM 6-17-2006

·
Registered
8,717 Posts
I gained over 25whp from open to closed BUT I will never EVARRR buy a QTP one. NEVAR! A friend had one and it died in a few months and mine didn't last 2-3 months. VES all the way!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Re: (GT-ER)

with a stock downpipe i would say the money would be better spent upgrading your downpipe first. then worry about a dump tube.
also...high flow cat is a waste of money. sorry to tell you that now, but its been proven time and again that the stock cat flows very well and is generally equal to if not better then most high flow cats.

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Re: (GiacGti)

Quote, originally posted by GiacGti »
with a stock downpipe i would say the money would be better spent upgrading your downpipe first. then worry about a dump tube.
also...high flow cat is a waste of money. sorry to tell you that now, but its been proven time and again that the stock cat flows very well and is generally equal to if not better then most high flow cats.

The Techtonics 'High Flow Cat' is a downpipe for the A4s/Passats since the turbo sits directly after the turbo. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

No, they are TWIN SEQUENTIAL TURBOS!

Yeah the cat bolts to the turbo outlet.

Modified by WhiteG60 at 8:10 AM 6-17-2006

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Re: (WhiteG60)

Quote, originally posted by WhiteG60 »
The Techtonics 'High Flow Cat' is a downpipe for the A4s/Passats since the turbo sits directly after the turbo. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

a bit redundant eh?
but i understand what you meant to say
you learn something new every day http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by GiacGti at 8:09 AM 6-17-2006

·
Registered
19,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Just call me crazy..(dump tupe) ( 18bora)

Quote, originally posted by 18bora »
I would but it before the cat (off road use only), and after the 1st 02 sensor.
]

I cant put it before the cat, my cat bolts straight to the turbo.

·
Registered
19,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

The thing with the VES is that i need full control of the valve. I need it so you dont even know its there. Am I asking too much with a dump valve?

·
Registered
11,169 Posts

Quote, originally posted by HarvVAG »
The thing with the VES is that i need full control of the valve. I need it so you dont even know its there. Am I asking too much with a dump valve?

Use the VES and put a manual boost controller in the cabin in line. Full control

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Re: Just call me crazy..(dump tupe) (WhiteG60)

Quote, originally posted by WhiteG60 »

Use the VES and put a manual boost controller in the cabin in line. Full control

Bingo!

but regarding QTP... they were good to me the only time i needed service after the sale... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
As many have said... the cat is the restriction here. Frankly i wouldnt bother if i couldnt figure out a way to move the cat back a bit and get the dump closer to the turbo... I just dont think the results would justify the effort or cost if it were set up post cat.

Modified by silvercar at 6:44 AM 6-17-2006

·
Registered
10,808 Posts

Quote, originally posted by HarvVAG »
What about a hollow cat then?

hollow cat= like 1 hp not really proven. id just go with whatever is cheaper. im sure working at the dealer having readiness codes set will pass your for your obd 2 scan.
you live in PA correct? you have lots of snow\salt and pendot. all these things combined means your electric dump will last all of six months.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Been running a QTP for almost a year. Been through one motor, but the second is holding strong. Seals 99%...I'm very happy with it.
I run a 3" downpipe with no cat mated to the stock exhaust. Quiet on the strett, loud at the strip.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Re: (sandiegobmx)

Quote, originally posted by sandiegobmx »
Been running a QTP for almost a year. Been through one motor, but the second is holding strong. Seals 99%...I'm very happy with it.
I run a 3" downpipe with no cat mated to the stock exhaust. Quiet on the strett, loud at the strip.

how could you be happy with it? you've had it almost a year and it already broke once lol. thats not what i look for in product quality. and it broke in an area where winter doesn't even exist.
i dont know anyone who hasn't had problems with these and if you live in an area with an appreciable winter you can kiss the reliability of the device goodbye. VES or go home. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
19,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Just call me crazy..(dump tupe) (beachball6)

Quote, originally posted by beachball6 »

you live in PA correct? you have lots of snow\salt and pendot. all these things combined means your electric dump will last all of six months.

Its going to mounted on the downpipe..you when you get down and look under the car your going to be able to see it. And if thats a problem ill fab something up to keep it away from the elements..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.