VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Just changed to RedLine MT-90 Gear Lube

601 Views 13 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  JettaRed
I didn't think it would make that much difference, but all the stuff people have been saying is true. Incredibly smooooooth shifting!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Re: Just changed to RedLine MT-90 Gear Lube (JettaRed)

I was contemplating doing the same (I like syn gear lube in my R1100RT), but was told the '01's came with syn from the factory. Did the original g.l. look like petroleum or synthetic? Did you use straight 90W. or a multi-grade?
Re: Just changed to RedLine MT-90 Gear Lube (pushroddm)

Just wait till tomorrow morning and try to shift your car.... You'll need to start going to the gym.

It is synthetic from the factory... and it doesn't need to be changed for 100,000 miles.
It's MT 75w-90.....
See less See more
Re: Just changed to RedLine MT-90 Gear Lube (pushroddm)

quote:[HR][/HR]I was contemplating doing the same (I like syn gear lube in my R1100RT), but was told the '01's came with syn from the factory. Did the original g.l. look like petroleum or synthetic? Did you use straight 90W. or a multi-grade?[HR][/HR]​
It's synthetic from the factory for 99.5 and newer, at least. I've changed it often, but the first time it was black. I've used Valvoline SynPower 75W-90 Gear Lube, AmsOil 75W-90 Gear Lube and now RedLine MT-90 (75W-90) Gear Lube. The RedLine is by far the best.

Did you use exactly two of the bottles? See, I had mine done at 12k and I just let the shop do it cause my car was already on the lift, so I figured why not. They didn't use two full bottles. This was at 12,000 miles and now I have 29,000 miles. How long does this stuff last for?
Re: Just changed to RedLine MT-90 Gear Lube (adg44)

I had my front up on ramps, so it tilts the tranny back a little and I can get two bottles. If it was level, I'd probably have a little left over. In the past, when I checked the level with the car level, a little would run out.
I don't know how long it lasts, probably forever, but I change mine about every 15,000 miles, though I think I'll leave this in a little longer.

that stuff gets thick when cold and it is a bit hard to shift but its real nice when warmed up and the actual specs are 2.2 quarts so you should use a bit more then 2 quarts when filling just so you know
Mike

Alright, it surely wasn't 2.2 quarts in my tranny. I guess I'll drain it out and put in some new redline, maybe that will help. Sooo... anyone wanna help me do it who has the tools??
See less See more

i want to do mine to, i have 68,000 on it, she neeeeeds it. Sears in 7 corners will prob do it for me, i can see if he will do yours too. I got connections. I would have to bring my own fluid but i get full use of their tools and lifts. I'm a bad mofo.
See less See more

quote:[HR][/HR]Just wait till tomorrow morning and try to shift your car.... You'll need to start going to the gym.
[HR][/HR]​
Amen to that!
(trying to put it in first gear on a cold morning while slightly rolling to a stop) "COOOMMME OONNN!!!! GRRRR!!! (click) Ahhhh..."
You get a full bicep workout on your morning drive.
Patrick

[Modified by One Dub Nut, 11:10 PM 2-11-2002]
See less See more
Re: Just changed to RedLine MT-90 Gear Lube (One Dub Nut)

Hmmm. Where were you guys before? So, what do you recommend? VW brand? I know Valvoline is tough on cold mornings, as well.
As far as changing it, you only need a 17mm hex socket or allen wrench. Either Trak Auto or Pep Boys have them. You don't even need to lift the front, though it makes it a lot easier. Removing the splash guard (sound shield) helps. And you need a gear lube pump or long funnel.
It's easy, unless you guys don't like to get your hands dirty!
See less See more

quote:[HR][/HR] So, what do you recommend?
[HR][/HR]​
Don't touch it! Just drive the car. Even in bentley for 85-92 Jettas it says don't monkey with it unless you suspect a leak. Don't touch something that hasn't broken yet.
Re: Just changed to RedLine MT-90 Gear Lube (One Dub Nut)

In cold weather, the OEM tranny fluid is almost the same as the Redline MT-90. Not quite as bad, but shifting into 1 & 2 for the first few minutes is not very smooth, but not exactly difficult, either. Once the tranny is warmed up, shifting is very smooth . . . especially in warm weather.
Re: Just changed to RedLine MT-90 Gear Lube (Max Rebo)

quote:[HR][/HR]In cold weather, the OEM tranny fluid is almost the same as the Redline MT-90. Not quite as bad, but shifting into 1 & 2 for the first few minutes is not very smooth, but not exactly difficult, either. Once the tranny is warmed up, shifting is very smooth . . . especially in warm weather.[HR][/HR]​
I agree. I listened to these naysayers, expecting to not be able to shift this morning (below freezing). The first 1st to 2nd shift was stiff, but after that it was a smooth as butta!
I'm am still really impressed with MT-90.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.