VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a PITA

Til I searched Audizine and was told C clamp and Channel locks. And to think, I almost rented the tool.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Just did the rear brakes (threethirteen)

The c clamp and chennel locks has to go just as fast. And the AZ and Napa by me dont have it for rent

Nonetheless, it was gravy. Need a write up here, so other people dont have to search AW or Audizine for the info they need.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Re: Just did the rear brakes (nidnabd)

Quote, originally posted by nidnabd »
Need a write up here, so other people dont have to search AW or Audizine for the info they need.

DO IT.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts

Need a write up here, so other people dont have to search AW or Audizine for the info they need.

cos that takes so much time.
AW Tech

·
Registered
6,734 Posts

Quote, originally posted by threethirteen »
cos that takes so much time.
AW Tech

eh, i just have the AW FAQ bookmarked. I still hate their layout, and only venture there when I have to though.

·
Registered
11,109 Posts

shoulda just rented the tool...it takes about fifteen minutes/side...

Why rent. I bought a universal brake caliper cube for 15 bucks... had to grind off some "extra" prongs on it to make it work, to fit in the two holes that Audi uses (the correct spacing on my cube had a 4 hole pattern, so I took off two corners)... Put it on a 3/8" drive and screwed it down by hand... rear brakes are easier then the fronts IMO.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Re: Just did the rear brakes (Live-Wire)

Quote, originally posted by Live-Wire »

Why rent. I bought a universal brake caliper cube for 15 bucks... had to grind off some "extra" prongs on it to make it work, to fit in the two holes that Audi uses (the correct spacing on my cube had a 4 hole pattern, so I took off two corners)... Put it on a 3/8" drive and screwed it down by hand... rear brakes are easier then the fronts IMO.

and now you can only use it your car. buy the kit for $30 and it works with all cars...and you dont waste time grinding off the prongs. and as for renting...renting is FREE

·
17,317 Posts

and now you can only use it your car. buy the kit for $30 and it works with all cars...and you dont waste time grinding off the prongs. and as for renting...renting is FREE

I dunno, I got the cube for $5, spent a few seconds on it with a dremel, and it works on all 3 of my cars. Why would you spend more?

·
17,317 Posts

Nonetheless, it was gravy. Need a write up here, so other people dont have to search AW or Audizine for the info they need.

You need to search to know how to change your brakes? What is this your first car?
Regardless, this needs no write up. You can ask Robert Bentley, he'll tell you all you need to know.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Re: Just did the rear brakes (robbyb413)

Quote, originally posted by robbyb413 »

You need to search to know how to change your brakes? What is this your first car?

zzzzzzzzzz http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Regardless, this needs no write up. You can ask Robert Bentley, he'll tell you all you need to know.

I simply have never done a twist in caliper, ******. BTW someone did a write up on the front brakes which are easier than any other car. But let's not do one for the rears that actually take a Bentley or a specialty tool.
I am starting to think you are a specialty tool.

extra:VR6>G60

Modified by nidnabd at 2:24 PM 7-10-2006

·
Registered
4,528 Posts

i didnt think the rears were really any harder...they have to be twisted instead of pushed...that's the only difference...

·
17,317 Posts

No, people are effing lazy. Read your god damn Bentley, thats what their for. DIYs and Walk throughs are super for things that arn't in the bently or are hard to find in the shop guide. For instance, following wiring diagrams, well, I could understand why someone would post for that, because it's a PITA to follow some of them sometimes and you just need the answer right away. But for a brake job? Come on. Get serious. The Bentley has a walk through right in there. It's not complex, but if you absolutely NEED to have someone show you how to do it, hop on there.
As a matter of fact, without the Bentley where are you going to get your torque specs? So it's not even worth doing it without one.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts

No, people are effing lazy. Read your god damn Bentley, thats what their for. DIYs and Walk throughs are super for things that arn't in the bently or are hard to find in the shop guide. For instance, following wiring diagrams, well, I could understand why someone would post for that, because it's a PITA to follow some of them sometimes and you just need the answer right away. But for a brake job? Come on. Get serious. The Bentley has a walk through right in there. It's not complex, but if you absolutely NEED to have someone show you how to do it, hop on there.
As a matter of fact, without the Bentley where are you going to get your torque specs? So it's not even worth doing it without one.

wow, lets flame someone for having a hard time with something and then using their resources to figure out the problem...thats super-cool of you. Im sure you were born a master mechanic and had done 14 breakjobs by the time you were 6 and never had a problem with any of them.

nibnabdI'll be heading up your way around Aug I think, well, to Grand Haven, but I might hit you up to see if there are any GTGs goin' on.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Just did the rear brakes (zaxonortesus)

Quote, originally posted by zaxonortesus »

nibnabdI'll be heading up your way around Aug I think, well, to Grand Haven, but I might hit you up to see if there are any GTGs goin' on

Treffen is August 19-20 in Chi. There is a VW/Audi meet in Grand Rapids about once a month.
Don't worry bout Robby, hes on the rag

1 - 20 of 27 Posts