VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
25,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE: Dyno and video added

Just playing around with my own daily B5 AEB and updated to United Motorsport(Jeff Atwood) 630cc file. Must say car runs great with a noticeable difference even from the standard flash.

It is known the injectors are quite small on the AEB and limit power even with a stock turbo, but wasn't expecting such a difference, keep in mind I've driven literally 1000's or chipped 1.8t's over the years so this was a surprise .

Ok here's the kicker, car is completely stock mechanically. Stock K03 with 160,000 miles, stock exhaust, stock intercooler. It is given that there will be the down low torque but was most impressed but how it pulled longer to redline rather then falling off after 4,500 like other aeb software. Also was afraid the 630cc's on a stock turbo would just be too much and have drive-ability issues but non thus far.

Why 630cc? overkill right? well yes and no. Mainly went this route for expandability. So if I ever upgrade the turbo, or do some E85 experimenting it leaves some room to play with. Also I'm in the process of having spools made for making the car rear wheel drive for easy dyno tuning, and to have some RWD fun :)

The 630cc file from UM is available in two versions 3" maf(approx 300hp) and Pro-Maf "Junior"(approx 400hp+). Im running the 3" version currently simply for cost(already had maf and injectors laying around) and ease of install.

I know the AEB can be a bugger when messing with injectors and such in terms of drive-ability but this no cold start or part throttle issues at all.

Ill try to keep this updated when i do some more things, next will be exhaust, maybe intake(or K&N drop in), then the dyno and E85

On a side note, on Saturday did the same tune on a Frankenturbo and will also update on that as I get feedback. So we can see how this works out as a new alternative to the other tunes that most tend to use on the AEB

·
Registered
25,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
subscribed....looking for a tune for my aeb
I think this is def the way to go, I know it works on the bigger turbo stuff great just trying to see if it can fill that void for k04/frankenturbo/eliminator setups

What turbo were you planning on going with?

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
probably just staying stock for a while till this one goes, then maybe a k04 but this is just my daily and not trying to spend alot on it

was just going to go with the apr tune, can you guys flash that at the shop or do i have to send my ecu out?

·
Registered
25,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
probably just staying stock for a while till this one goes, then maybe a k04 but this is just my daily and not trying to spend alot on it

was just going to go with the apr tune, can you guys flash that at the shop or do i have to send my ecu out?
We can do it in house.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I'm pretty interested in this, I'd like to know how much the tune will cost
this tune is already available its $599, currently on sale for $499

·
Registered
25,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i would like to see numbers before i believe this is worth it to spend an additional 400+ dollars on injectors,maf, fpr etc on top of the 800 that a uni 630 tune costs
There seems to be some confusion. Injectors and maf should never cost $400+, Injectors $240 and a Vr maf housing can be found for a couple dollars or and aluminum for $100 or less.

No FPR is needed.

As stated above this tune is $599, currently on sale for $499.

Maybe Im mis-reading your post but this is United Motorsport, not sure what you mean by the $800 of a uni tune?

·
Registered
25,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to clarify, the United Motorsport 630cc file is a finished, readily available tune.

The point of this is to see how it works in general in terms of drivability especially on smaller turbos to fill the void where customers are unhappy with whats known for the AEB community.

UM(jeff atwood) is world renowned in the VR6 and 2.5 market and most people aren't aware of his tunes for the drive by cable 1.8T

·
Registered
25,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you would be looking at that total but how much is the unitronic tune? they offer 440 and 630?(seriously asking as i dont know the price)

It can be stretched to fit an aluminum 3" without too much hassle. Fitting to a vr maf does require grinding the big lip off and some grunt work but can be made to fit, I just did it on mine and mad it fit inside the stock airbox.

What turbo are you/do you plan on running?

my bad, i misread the titile..

but you are still looking at around 800-850.

and you will need to either find a new turbo inlet or build one to accomodate the 3" maf.

and does this utilize the n75, or is a manual controller required ?

·
Registered
25,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
unitronic is significantly more 6-800 for just tune.. and for the aeb they dont offer anything larger then 440.

as of right now i am running a 50trim with unitronic 440 tune on 550cc bosch injectors
what maf are you currently running?

·
Registered
25,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the vr housing and stock sensor
so you would just need the software and injectors and will be a noticeable difference in drive-ability and smoothness versus what you have now

for example had a customer with the same as you and one of his complaints was a warm start issue, immediately after switching to UM it was gone

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
mine isnt exactly an off the shelf tune anymore, i wont lie it started and idled like crap when i first put it together, talked to uni and had them make some adjustments and take care of a few sensors and its been pretty good since. it runs pretty well off boost, considering the mis match of parts, and pulls pretty hard while in boost.

im not on the uni bandwagon or anything, i feel as if this setup has more potential for sure, but i am content for now, my bottom end is also stock so i dont want it to be overly aggressive.

if i were to switch tunes it would be to something with more of a user interface like maestro, and would also be switching to an me7 system

·
Registered
733 Posts
so have you gotten your car dyno'd with your tune and injectors? I'd be interested to see what kind of power and torque you are getting with everything else stock.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts