VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Making drive back from Miami to Massachusetts for the summer. Going smoothly along I-95 and flying off the Semi in front of me is a nice blown tire. Smash right in the front of the car and underneath. The damn thing ripped off all of the plastic black bumper and the three vents in the bumper. It also ripped off all of the plastic that goes around the wheel wells on both front sides. Is the car safe to drive if it is raining out??? How much do you think it will cost to replace all of the plastic?
And of course it happened again 6hrs later to the car in front of me, then hit my car again(no damage this time, then hit my girls jetta behind me.(same exact dmage to hers)
I hate truck drivers.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Just Finished Road Trip from Hell (Zealot)

Truck didn't stop and by the time i gained contol of my car the truck was long gone......Talked to my insurance company and they said since it i was hit by a flying object that they will cover it with no cost to me.

·
Registered
14,240 Posts
Wow! They're covering it free of charge? That's cool! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif to your insurance company!
Usually this would be one of those situations, IMO, where you're just SOL.

·
Registered
19,695 Posts
Re: (ZeRo_C0oL)

You will be just fine driving in the rain. You might get some water in your engine bay and it might get dirty, but there should be no problem at all.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (ZeRo_C0oL)

Yea so if you ever get nailed by something on the highway the key term to use is :airborne" Just tell them that what hit you came flying through the air at you.

·
Premium Member
7,944 Posts
Re: (StewartJeff)

That sucks, almost the same thing happened to me on Wednesday morning. A pickup truck cut me off on the freeway and kicked up a tractor trailer tire. It sent it flying square into the front of my car:

I'm not so lucky. My insurance company has deemed this a collision. They will be convering it however. Which is good since the repairs are estimated at around $1000 or so with painting the bumper.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Re: (JettaGL_1.8T)

goodluck..... trucks insurance will call it an accident and they wont cover it. Happened to my bud a week ago.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: Just Finished Road Trip from Hell (StewartJeff)

Sorry to hear about the car- it can be fixed, though. Instead, you should be counting your blessings that neither you nor your girlfriend was injured. I once had a teacher whose sister was killed by one of those things.
That's just another reason I don't ride behind truckers whenever it's possible to avoid it.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Re: (JettaGL_1.8T)

Quote, originally posted by JettaGL_1.8T »
That sucks, almost the same thing happened to me on Wednesday morning. A pickup truck cut me off on the freeway and kicked up a tractor trailer tire. It sent it flying square into the front of my car:

I'm not so lucky. My insurance company has deemed this a collision. They will be convering it however. Which is good since the repairs are estimated at around $1000 or so with painting the bumper.

You were lucky! There was a woman killed up here when a tractor trailer tire came off the truck and ripped open her roof and flipped her car; scary!

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Re: Just Finished Road Trip from Hell (StewartJeff)

Quote, originally posted by StewartJeff »
Talked to my insurance company and they said since it i was hit by a flying object that they will cover it with no cost to me.

pretty much the same thing happened to me, only i hit a deer. insurance is going to cover everything. be glad no one got hurt.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Re: Just Finished Road Trip from Hell (mhskateboarder)

I once had a fist size rock flying towards me on the highway. It hit the hood first and then to the windshield. Hood was dented and windshield was cracked. I claimed my insurance under comprehensive, which was very lucky.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Just Finished Road Trip from Hell (BRM10984)

Yes I am just happy she was ok....The hell with me she is more important than my car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts