VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Just got 3" dp installed/bad vibrations!!

746 Views 11 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  RVs021.8T
I just got the dp/cat installed from ATP today, and there is a huge vibration coming from the front, especially at high rpms. I am not sure if that is normal but I doubt it. Is something hitting, well I know something is hitting, but why and what. Or do you all think I need new motor mount bushings. It is really, really bad in third gear at about 5000rpm. This is not making me happy, What do you all think?
See less See more
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Re: Just got 3" dp installed/bad vibrations!! (RVs021.8T)

install the motor mounts......almost everyone with the DP has installed the motor mounts....

Sounds like you're hitting the heat shield. Most people have to knock the shield back with a hammer to avoid hitting it.
Re: Just got 3" dp installed/bad vibrations!! (drm916)

you're lucky because I have an auto it does the same thing a 4,000 rpm or 85mph. I think it's normal. Maybe that's why there was a S-curve in the OEM design to cut back the noise? not sure.

[Modified by Turbine Driven, 1:27 PM 2-7-2002]
Re: Just got 3" dp installed/bad vibrations!! (Turbine Driven)

So does it sound and feel a lot worse than it is. Because it sounds and feels horrible. I mean it sounds like it is misfiring reall, really really bad. So is it hurting anything.

Sounds a bit unusual...I have an ATP "redesigned" DP and I rarely rub. I've got the stock motormounts also
Re: Just got 3" dp installed/bad vibrations!! (FastGTi)

What is "redesigned", I bought this used form someone on here, so is the redesigned one newer. And I know it sounds unusual, because it sounds like sh#t.

How many different motor mounts are there on a 1.8T? I replaced the dogbone one with the Z-engineering mount. Are the big DPs interfering with the stock dogbone mount or some other one?
Patrick

quote:[HR][/HR]I just got the dp/cat installed from ATP today, and there is a huge vibration coming from the front, especially at high rpms[HR][/HR]​
The reason you hear it at HIGH RPM's is because your motor is "tilting" fully and rubbing the heat shield... its a common problem with people - i know that when I originally installed it on my car I did push the heat shield down a little bit.
However, as per my IM to you, my car used the bushings to avoid any issues - but that was done b4... so my suggestion to you is, like others say, motor mount bushings. The one you have from me is most likely the "old" one as it is referred to - but since i had the bushings i never had issues... good luck man!
See less See more
Re: Just got 3" dp installed/bad vibrations!! (Shaka)

i got the energy suspension motor mounts... and im putting on the dp+race pice this weekend...
should i install the motor mounts before and when i get my dp done... should i tell the muffler guy to push back the heat shield a little?
Re: Just got 3" dp installed/bad vibrations!! (mrdejected)

quote:[HR][/HR]should i install the motor mounts before and when i get my dp done... should i tell the muffler guy to push back the heat shield a little?[HR][/HR]​
You should do the mounts before/while doing the DP system. If you have a nice shop, they'll let you do the motor bushings while they are working on the ehxaust. Its REALLY easy to do (maybe 10 mins tops) - and would be cool to do while under the car on the lift!!
As for the heat shield, you'll see where the DP comes really close to the heat shield that is near to the bottom (facing the ground) - yeah pushing/hitting it down a little bit is a good idea... cheers!
Re: Just got 3" dp installed/bad vibrations!! (Shaka)

Thanks, SHaka i got you IM, and I am ordering those bushings today.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.