VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are they illegal or what?? im seeing different things everywhere on these things. the sheriff that pulled me over had me shine them on a piece of paper and said they should shine white?? i told him they were legal and he was like well the dmv told me to give tickets to any lights that werent shining white. he didnt say a specific law or anything?? anyways any help is greatly appreciated as i dont have the money to pay for this. i dont see how these can be illegal they are 100 percent better then any light ive ever had in every way!!!!!!!! thanks,
KIP....

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Re: just got a 140 dollar ticket for yellowstars (K-FIZY)

What! That's BS, the front headlights fogs can be any white/yellow hue. If we HAD to have white bulbs in front how do cars, such as Lexus, get away with OE yellow fogs. Definitely look it up, copy/print that, then fight it.
BTW, there should be an ordinance/law code# on the ticket somewhere. Do a search and look that up as well.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: just got a 140 dollar ticket for yellowstars (1984cc)

yea thats what im thinking im just having trouble finding a set law, im gonna go talk to a judge before the court date,
KIP....

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Re: just got a 140 dollar ticket for yellowstars (K-FIZY)

Deffinatly worth fighting...here in Cali any bulb that shines from the front of the vehicle for lighting purposes can only be yellow or white...But thats not to be said having yellow bulbs wont get you harassed.. HTH FWIW

·
Registered
24,993 Posts
Re: just got a 140 dollar ticket for yellowstars (iwanaleya)

Where did you have the yellowstars? Low beams, fogs? Was it while the DRLs were on?
A legal issue I see here is how "yellow" is defined. Shining a bulb on a piece of paper has no objective criteria on the brightness and quality of the color. Has the officer's eyes been color-calibrated lately that he can objectively determine that a bulb falls outside of the color criteria in the legal range of what is defined as applicable for forward facing lighting.
http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/....html
See near the top in part 735-108-0000, Part 2, "(2) FMVSS 108 specifies requirements for the following original and replacement lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment for motor vehicles:"
Then, reference 5.5.11.3 in:
http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7...8.pdf
There is some allowance for "selective-yellow" light, as described on Daniel Stern's excellent website: http://www.danielsternlighting....html
That said, Oregon law may supercede the FMVSS 108 standard, you'll have to look through the relevant state ordinances and codes to be sure. If there are strict interpretations of what color lighting is legal, there may not be much hope. OTOH, if you can convince them that the Yellowstars are "selective-yellow", which meets federal guidelines, and might not be excluded in Oregon statute, then you should be okay.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I believe it is only legal to have "selective yellow" bulbs in front fogs in the USA, but headlights have to be "white" as specificed by FMVSS108 or whatever.

·
Registered
24,993 Posts
Re: (vr6ofpain)

That's what I got from the articles I noted. He might be able to find enough info or wiggle room in the Oregon's adoption of the standard or in the interpretation to either get it kicked or have it reduced to a "fix-it" ticket, rather than the infraction.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (Senna 1.8T)

yea no joke he comes to my car and is like ok its 140 for impropper lighting i was like wtf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh well damn tha man....

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Re: (K-FIZY)

Hey Kip, I've got those DOT papers for the other bulbs that should work fine for hte Yellowstars. Just throw some regular bulbs in, and take hte paperwork to the court, and see what they say.
later,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts