1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...
I just bought the love of my life
a 90 Jetta GLI 2.0 16V...98k miles
I have no idea as to the maint history of the car as i bought it from a lot...but it still runs good aside from the idle problem but i think i know how to fix it...basically I want to give it a really good complete tune-up...you know make sure it is tip top shape before i start playing with it.
I plan on changing the following:
- spark plugs (bosch F6DTC)
- wires (prolly bosch)
- cap and rotor (prolly bosch)
- change oil and filter (need advice on brands)
- change tranny fluid (need advice)
- replace air filter (k&n)
- flush radiator
- may replace brake fluid
- fix idle problem (hopefully it is just the idle srew o ring...maybe the isv or loose connection)
please let me know if you have any advice on products to use or other things that i have to do... this is my first vw and my bentley wont be here for a few weeks so i have chiltons for now...
thank you in advance
pieter

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Re: just got a gli...need help with tune up... (c0d3 4ng3l)

Honestly, wait a few weeks for the Bentley to arrive...
Good coice on the K&N air filter...
edit: BTW, welcome to VW ownership and welcome to the Vortex!

[Modified by phatvw1, 12:11 AM 4-12-2002]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: just got a gli...need help with tune up... (The_Jerbel)

quote:[HR][/HR]and what are the symptoms of the idle problems?[HR][/HR]​
sometimes it will idle around 800 rpm but it sounds like timing may be off a bit..and then at other times it will stay around 1500 rpm mostly after the car warms up...from what i read it is either a loose connection isv or timing screw so i am goin to try those...if you know of anything else i should try please let me know
thanks for the info
pieter

·
Registered
7,979 Posts

Great car!
Be very careful with the spark plug wires when installing them. They are expensive and easy to mess up if you pull them out wrong. BTW, the rotor should be glued on. Be careful taking the old one off that you don't bend the shaft.
The idle might be high like that if your AC is not charged. Try turning that off to see if that makes a difference in idle speed. OR, depending on the idle speed at warm up, you might want to just turn the idle down when the car is warm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: just got a gli...need help with tune up... (Diamond Dave)

quote:[HR][/HR]The idle might be high like that if your AC is not charged. Try turning that off to see if that makes a difference in idle speed. OR, depending on the idle speed at warm up, you might want to just turn the idle down when the car is warm.[HR][/HR]​
my ac is not charged but it revs high ( around 1500 when warmed up) without the ac on and around 2k when the ac is on...i know this because i tested to see if it works...
i dont know what to do cause the idle is around 800 when i first turn it on and then after a while it will go to 1500 so i dont know if it is the idle screw... iguess ill just try some different things ive read about this weekend and see what happens...
btw i think it is a great car too...
thanks for the advise
pieter

·
Registered
3,573 Posts

adjusting the idle screw will do nothing.. it is controled by the computer through the ISV. look for vacuum leaks, and check all the wiring connections. if anything, adjust the idle mixture screw, but you need a 5 gas or the wiring thing that plugs into the differential pressure regulator and into a DMM. do the tune up first.. that way you know atleast the basic systems are working.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Re: just got a gli...need help with tune up... (dj age one)

Hey bro... I'm local too... have an 89 16v GTI.. and buddy has an 88... I'm sure my bud would be willing to look at it for you he's the 16v guy.. I'm new to them.. my email is [email protected] email me a number to reach you at, we might be taking mine out to the track tonight to get a laugh at it's slowness
more than welcome to head down if we do.. email me whne you see this though..
Brian

·
Registered
1,629 Posts

Pieter, welcome to the Vortex and the Mk2 forum. You've definitely chosen a great version of the Mk2 Jetta (see my sig!). Here are my thoughts on your questions:
[I plan on changing the following:
- spark plugs (bosch F6DTC) excellent choice
- wires (prolly bosch) everyone has their favorite set of wires, mine is the tt Blue Ignitors, Eurosport and Neuspeed both have good sets, just a decision you have to make
- cap and rotor (prolly bosch) good choices
- change oil and filter (need advice on brands) you have 98k miles, so my advice is to stick with a good brand name 20W50 dino oil. I would not recommend changing to synthetic in an older engine
- change tranny fluid (need advice) both Redline and Amsoil are good quality products, I chose Amsoil based on NGP's (a tuner shop here in Maryland) recommendation
- replace air filter (k&n) good choice, just make sure the oil on the filter is not excessive
- flush radiator definitely a good idea, use genuine VW coolant
- may replace brake fluid if you are going to do the brakes soon, hold off and change the fluid when you do. I used ATE Gold 200, excellent high boiling points and DOT 4 approved.
- fix idle problem (hopefully it is just the idle srew o ring...maybe the isv or loose connection)] check for vacuum leaks! As dj age one said, this is probably the most common cause of idle problems. I have recently been fighting the very same issue, just today changed the large rubber boot (the one near the fuel distributor) and a number of vacuum lines. Check this web site for some really good info on this subject:
http://www.iders.com/alexweb/index.html
Post some pics soon, good luck! BTW, mine is also a '90, with 97k miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.