VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new '05 GLS 1.8T Sedan...
Blue Graphite, 5 Speed...

Prior to this, I was leasing a GLS 1.8T 5 speed. With the lease just about up, I was leaning towards buying it at the end of the lease. However, after reading about these oil sludge horror stories, I decided it best to not tempt fate, and leased again.
VW's great lease deals and customer appreciation money didn't hurt either. In fact, I think it is probably crazy to not lease right now since the new B6 redesign could cause some harsh depreciation of the old B5 models.
About the new car: I really like the leatherette interior. It has the look and feel of real leather, without the creepy leather stench. I love the blue graphite color. Just looking forward to getting through the break-in process, loosen up the shifter, all that nice stuff...
The '05 suspension does feel a tad softer though...

· Registered
28,732 Posts
Re: Just got a new '05 GLS Sedan... no oil sludge for me, thank you very much... (bonesmccoy)

Quote, originally posted by bonesmccoy »

Prior to this, I was leasing a GLS 1.8T 5 speed. With the lease just about up, I was leaning towards buying it at the end of the lease. However, after reading about these oil sludge horror stories, I decided it best to not tempt fate, and leased again.

What oil were you using in the previous car?

· Registered
1,983 Posts
Re: Just got a new '05 GLS Sedan... no oil sludge for me, thank you very much... (bonesmccoy)

When I went for my first oil chenge my dealer wanted to use 10W30 and said that the 5W 40 was a waste of money and not necessary. I knew better and told him to use the 5W 40. He said I was one of the very few people to ever specified that. The headlights came misaimed and he said thats how the projectors were. Needless to say I no longer use them and go to another dealer 25 miles away. I bring my own Mobil 1 when to go to the dealers.

· Registered
28,732 Posts

Quote »
Whatever the dealer used

Which means that your old car probably does have increased risk of oil sludge. They should have used the Castrol Syntec 5W-40 with VW 502.00 rating that they have, but they probably used 5W-30 or 10W-30 cheap conventional oil from their bulk tank.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Just got a new '05 GLS Sedan... no oil sludge for me, thank you very much... (tjl)

Quote, originally posted by tjl »

Which means that your old car probably does have increased risk of oil sludge. They should have used the Castrol Syntec 5W-40 with VW 502.00 rating that they have, but they probably used 5W-30 or 10W-30 cheap conventional oil from their bulk tank.

Are the dealers trying to generate repeat business when the engine blows or are they just lazy/incompetent?
I thought the general idea behind paying more for dealer servicing over a place like Jiffy Lube is the dealer is supposed to know what the hell he is doing.

· Registered
1,983 Posts

Quote, originally posted by bonesmccoy »

Are the dealers trying to generate repeat business when the engine blows or are they just lazy/incompetent?
I thought the general idea behind paying more for dealer servicing over a place like Jiffy Lube is the dealer is supposed to know what the hell he is doing.

Of course they do, can you imagine how many visits people made when out of warranty with engine problems? Dealers don't always know what they are talking about. My headlights was a good example, could not see far at all at night. Then there was the misaligned trim in the luggage compartment and the widsheild that they replaced. Big gap and he tells me that's the design? Salesmen too, you know when you are a VW fanatic when the salesman asks you questions on the car. But the dealer where I carry it to now is great. Just did a 25,000 mile service and paid $33.00, supplied my own oil, they changed two warpped rotors and a roof antenna (now I get AM). Plus they pick and drop you off to work or home.

· Registered
28,732 Posts

The dealer is supposed to know what they are doing for service. But most discussions regarding what oil dealers put into recent VWs indicates that, until the recent TSBs regarding oil sludge, most dealers just used cheap bulk oil instead of the 5W-40 recommended in the owner's manual.

· Registered
1,983 Posts
Re: Just got a new '05 GLS Sedan... no oil sludge for me, thank you very much... (tjl)

They always told me that the 5W 40 was for TDIs only and not for the 1.8T. Which is contary to the owner'd manual and VWs Oil brochure, there was a clause in the brochure that if TDI owners used oil other than 5W 40 or any that did meet VW specs, their warranty would be voided.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.