VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from racing on an 1/8th mile drag strip and im very pissed off.... My friend in is 3G eclipse and i went to race each other (i beat him by almost a second), so that made up for it but heres the wierd thing.......
I went there when all i had was a filter exhaust and chip, and the best i got was a 10.59 with a .311 reaction time, 60'time was a 2.389, and the next time (not sure what it is, it says I2 on the slip) was a 6.916 and it was at 64.492mph......... Now I have all that plus a intake tube, short shifter, plugs , wires, polished trottle body, and the best i ran was a 11.191 at 61.92 mph, with 60'time of 2.531, with a .201reaction time...... I got new wheels that are 16", and before i was running with 14" steelies..... Would that be why i ran so much slower????? Right now, i just want to rip my engine out.............. You guys have Any idea why i ran slower?????? thanks Paul

·
Banned
4,560 Posts
Re: Just got back from the track, and right now I hate my 2.slow!!! (CrossFlowGolf)

It's your wheels. If your wheels are even a couple pounds heavier than the stockies it will make a big difference.
You want to run the 14's at the track anyway since you are only going in a straight line.
It could also have to do with the air temperature (was it a colder night last time?), but I'd bet money you have a heavier wheel setup and that is your problem.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Re: Just got back from the track, and right now I hate my 2.slow!!! (CrossFlowGolf)

the 2.0L has way to wide of gearing for the 1/8 mi. And as with most mods top end is what you're going for so with wide gears in the 1/8th you'll be slow. Oh an your 60' time is slower too, probably due to the 16" wheels and different conditions, get it down to about 2.0 - 2.2 and it'll make a big difference. Oh and do you have a cam and p&p head to warrant that polished throttle body? Just curious cause I lost about 4hp with a modified throttle body on the stock intake manifold, stock head and stock cam.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Just got back from the track, and right now I hate my 2.slow!!! (Fast2.0L)

quote:[HR][/HR]Oh and do you have a cam and p&p head to warrant that polished throttle body? Just curious cause I lost about 4hp with a modified throttle body on the stock intake manifold, stock head and stock cam. [HR][/HR]​
No Just the trottle body right now..... AFter we did that it felt like it reved up a little faster but, it didnt feel like extra power. P&P might come soon, and no cam yet, that is probably my next goal.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Just got back from the track, and right now I hate my 2.slow!!! (Bob Roberts)

quote:[HR][/HR]It could also have to do with the air temperature (was it a colder night last time?), but I'd bet money you have a heavier wheel setup and that is your problem.[HR][/HR]​
It was colder the first time i ran........ the first time i ran my car last year was when the track was almost closed for winter, My time slip says 11/2/01. and i remember it was pretty cold that night. When we ran last night it was probably 85-90

·
10,792 Posts

Temp makes a difference in your engines output, 85-90 temps aren't the best temps to run in.

·
Banned
4,560 Posts
Re: Just got back from the track, and right now I hate my 2.slow!!! (WolfGTI)

So last time it was a much cooler night and you had stock wheels.
Now you know why you were slower this time. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts