VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just installed a new clutch (including the flywheel) about 3 days ago and it was working great and now today it started to slip......could it just be that i have to re-adjust the clutch cable or is it something else. if it is just the clutch cable i cant seem how to adjust it....i have been told i have a self adjusting cable.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Re: just got done installing my new clutch (justforfun)

get rid of that self adjusting cable . it will ruine your clutch.
get a regular one and adjust it

·
Registered
9,114 Posts

The mkiii's came with a self adjusting clutch cable, which will definitely lessen the life of the clutch. How much, not exactly sure. But, it's nothing major. You can swap it out with a manually adjustable unit, which will give you the option to fine tune the set-up.
Now, in regards to your clutch slipping, did you do the work yourself? Did you let the new clutch break-in? Did you follow the recommended fluid levels?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: just got done installing my new clutch (ramylson)

ok the clutch has been in for about a week now and it still slips...so i dont konw hwo long to let it brake-in...and as far as the fluid..the book i got told me that the clutch fluid is the same as the brake fluid and i dont know if have to blead the clutch just like the brakes and if so how

·
Registered
9,114 Posts

Quote, originally posted by justforfun »
ok the clutch has been in for about a week now and it still slips...so i dont konw hwo long to let it brake-in...and as far as the fluid..the book i got told me that the clutch fluid is the same as the brake fluid and i dont know if have to blead the clutch just like the brakes and if so how

Let me get this straight.. when you did the work, you put brake fluid in as clutch fluid?

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Re: just got done installing my new clutch (ramylson)

If Im not mistaking, the 2.0 Has a cable clutch. Not a hydro. There should be no fluid at all.
Nate

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no dont have a hydro clutch so i was getting confussed..i read the cheltons and it said that the clutch fluid ran with the brake fluid....but since it is a 2.0 its "100% cable
thanks guys for all your help....the car is running fine..but when i turn the car off after driving the clutch has that smell of it sliping

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Re: (justforfun)

is it sliping or does it smell like its slipping. BIG diff. smell means its prob braking in. Slipping means somthing more.

Nate

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Re: (Nat1267)

this is the first I've heard of a self-adjusting cable causing rapid clutch wear.
I had 120,000 miles on my old clutch, and it still had a LOT of meat left.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

it just smells like it is slipping....but when i take off from a stop the shutters and shakes like crazy, just like i am not giving it enogh gas

Modified by justforfun at 3:06 AM 5-26-2004

·
Registered
11,705 Posts

did you:
1) get any oil, grease, or otherwise on the fiber disk?
2) Clean the metal disk with brake cleaner?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (Pagano)

you know i did buy brake cleanner and everything but i was to excited that i was almost done that i didn't spray and cleaner on the disks
...but i dont think there was a lot of grease on the plates

·
Registered
2,935 Posts

you know i did buy brake cleanner and everything but i was to excited that i was almost done that i didn't spray and cleaner on the disks
...but i dont think there was a lot of grease on the plates

Hate to say it but it dont take alot.
Nate

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so are you saying i have to take the tranny off again and spray the flywheel with the brake cleaner....man i hate myself right now

·
Registered
2,935 Posts

....man i hate myself right now

LOL its all good dude, there has been worse done, To answer your question, I dont know. Hopefully one of these other guys might know the answer. Sorry I cant help ya out there. To be honest. The only prob that you can fix with out taking the tranny off is replacing the clutch cable with a non self adjusting unit. It soulds like most anyother fixe is gona mean removing the tranny.
Nate

·
Registered
752 Posts

Nat, how difficult is it for a home DIY to replace the clutch .... my 4th & 5th gears are already slipping so I'm not to far away from a change (upgrading though to a 16V pp & lightened flywheel). I really want to try it myself but don't want to f-up my car completely in the process. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,250 Posts

it just smells like it is slipping....but when i take off from a stop the shutters and shakes like crazy, just like i am not giving it enogh gas

did you put a lightened flywheel in? that could be why it shakes... i'd hope you would know that though if you did the job yourself
. also, did you replace your rear main crank seal, trans input shaft seal, and throw-out rod seal? cause if either one of those leak they'd spill oil right onto the disc/flywheel/pp. good luck figuring it out!
kyle

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (availrva)

Quote, originally posted by availrva »

did you put a lightened flywheel in? that could be why it shakes... i'd hope you would know that though if you did the job yourself
. also, did you replace your rear main crank seal, trans input shaft seal, and throw-out rod seal? cause if either one of those leak they'd spill oil right onto the disc/flywheel/pp. good luck figuring it out!
kyle

thanks man for all the informantion but everything just worked itself out....kind-of like the self adjusting clutch..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts