VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my UNI black 2001 gti just got keys both sides all across. need to know wat kind of touch of paint i can get to cover it up for the time being and where to get it. thx in advance

·
Registered
224 Posts
Re: just got keyed (BlakJTI)

You can take your car to _some_ O'Reilleys and they might have a digital match camera-like device that they can take digital samples of your car as it is now...
Then they can make a paint to color-match it. The place here has that device and sells Dupont paints (chromabase etc) which are nice and you could even have them make-up a pint so you'll have enough for down the road stone chips and such.
If you do this, you'll want to decide on whether or not to have them make the pint in single stage paint so you don't also have to clear coat over the base color or dual stage paint (like the chromabase).
With single stage paint it'll be just one step. With dual stage paint it'll be a two-step process - apply color and then clear coat for shine/depth.
The plus side to using a dual stage system (color base + clear coat)for touch ups is you can CAREFULLY apply the base coat (color) to your scratches. Be really A-type about it and use a super-fine brush to "stay within the lines". Then mix-up and apply however much clear coat you need to go over it. It may take a couple of coats or more to fill-in the scratches depending on how deep the scratches are (key-toting bastards!) and once set and dry you can color sand it down carefully and polish it with the appropriate waffle pad....
I did this on a non-Vdub I once owned (real lapse in judgement - I bought a DOdGe)... Anyway... I got keyed in NY and did this to solve it...
The down side (to dual stage) is it's time consuming, but your time is free to you and a repainting of the whole car ain't.
You may even be happy enough that you won't repaint the car at all.... That's what happened with my _other_ car

Sorry to hear about it man.... I can sympathize and _really_ do hate those that would do such a thing...completely thoughless ^$$#0LE$

1 - 4 of 4 Posts