VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so I had my 92 Jetta in the shop for a state inspection and a few other small things and when I get it back, the shifter is now messed up. Now I can push it straight into reverse without pushing down on it. Is it possible that it just wore out at the mechanics (it does have 135k miles), or do you think they may have broken it somehow? I could use some of your thoughts here. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
take the thingy off and check it out,
the part is only a couple of bucks, get it and rivet it in...problem solved

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (needaveedub)

still though, if they broke it they should fix it. I'm wondering if they may have broken it, since it worked perfectly fine before I took it in.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: (Mikemaster)

they possibly did break it. lift the boot off (you'll need to unscrew the knob if you want to remove it completely), and look inside. On the left, there's a plastic plate that sticks down more in the front half than the back half. On the shifter, there's a plastic hook sticking out to the left with a little tab sticking up. if either of those parts are broken, reverse lockout won't work. If they're there, try to lift up on the shifter. If it pulls up and the reverse lockout works, but wants to drop down into the pushed-down position, you need to replace the cup and ball at the bottom of the shifter. Either way, it's entirely possible the inspection shop guy just shoved it over (that's how it works in BMWs) and broke something. Take it by and complain that your reverse lockout no longer works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts