VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed a Phatbox and it works (almost) perfectly

I had it in my Audi but I still had the original VW cable for it so I figured I'd give it a try. I have the in dash 6 CD changer headunit with no CD changer in the glove compartment. I attached the Phatbox to the external changer cable and it booted right up and played without a hitch. I tried to fix the phatbox sans the external cover into the CD changer compartment but it's not deep enough. So instead I spent the next hour fishing the cable out of there and down behind the glovebox to the footwell area. Right now the phatbox is sitting in the passenger footwell, tomorrow I'm gonna figure out a way to hang it below the glovebox. I test fit it there and there should be enough space for it not to get it the way. Once I do that I'll post some pics, but for now it's great just to have my tunes back. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by 4Rings v2.0 at 6:29 PM 3-1-2006

Modified by 4Rings v2.0 at 7:21 PM 3-2-2006

·
Registered
103 Posts
Re: Just installed a Phatbox and it works perfectly (4Rings v2.0)

This is awesome news. Is the interface the same as in your Audi (ie button 2 = playlist, 3 album, 4 artist, etc)?
I was looking at a B6 Wagon on the weekend and the salesman told me that having an iPod adapter was the only way to go and the Phatbox will not work. Of course being that I have a Phatbox I am a little biased to the Phatbox solution so I was disappointed to hear that it would not work.
In any event post the pics once you have the install complete. I am very interested to hear how it works out for you.

Modified by Vento16v at 9:37 PM 3-2-2006

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Just installed a Phatbox and it works perfectly (Vento16v)

Yes, the cd buttons 1-6 still do the same thing as before (2-playlist, 3-artist, etc.) and the prev/next buttons work too. I found a small incompatibility where pressing button 1 right after pressing one of the 2-6 buttons causes the headunit think CD1 is not working correctly, I had to turn the unit off and on to get it to work again. Also, I spent some time trying to figure out how to do random play, since there is not mix or random button. Turns out if you hold down the CD button for 2 seconds it enables the random mode. Currently I'm using radio type H in the setup, I'm yet to find a radio type that would allow the headunit to display song and artist info. Maybe we'll have to wait until Phatnoise folks release a new software version with an updated radio list before it will do that.
I ended up putting the phatbox under the passenger seat, there is enough room even with the seat all the way down and the cable is just long enough to route under the passenger floormat so it's not visible. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Here's a few pics.
The cable is routed behind the glovebox and down the bottom of the dashboard. I removed the foam insulation (it's held up by two screws) and routed the cable under it (or is it above it?).
With the floormat removed you can see the wire:

but the mat covers it up nicely:

The phatbox under the passenger seat. I know it looks like it sticks out but it really doesn't:

And the view under the seat. It's almost perfect fit:

·
Registered
103 Posts

Wicked... thanks for the update and pics! I hope you are right about the folks at Phatnoise upgrading the software. Perhaps they will resolve the quirk you have with pressing 1 right after pressing buttons 2-6 as well as getting the song name/artist to display. Even if they don't it is nice to know that the Phatbox can live on in the new generation VWs. Subtract one item from my "reasons not to buy the B6 wagon list" (its a very short list)

·
Registered
346 Posts

Phatbox is nice, but why not get the Ipod adapter? Then you can take and listen to your tunes, or plug in and play in your car?!
The ipod is cheaper also!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Just installed a Phatbox and it works perfectly (ericnyce)

Ipod is cheaper then $120? That's how much I paid for each of two Phatbox systems I own.
Personally I dislike Ipods. The phatbox is a lot easier to operate in the car, using large radio controls and display instead of little bitty buttons and a tiny screen. Also, it's hidden and hardwired so I don't have to worry about having to plug/unplug it all the time or having someone break in to steal it. I have a large library of mp3, at home I use Turtlebeach Audiotron to play them through my stereo system, it has digital audio connection to my receiver and sounds way better then an ipod every would. In the car I use the phatbox. Since I have two of them I have one USB cradle at home and one at work, so I can take the cartridge to the office and listen to the music there. That covers all my musical needs quite nicely.

I almost forgot the most important reason - Phatbox talks to me in a sexy woman's voice. Ipod can't do that. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
103 Posts

I got my Phatbox for $120 as well. Smokin' deal for 20GB of storage and cheaper than even an iPod nano. iPod's are cool, but like anything they have drawbacks. I think the new iPod adapter for the B6 allows control through the stereo controls, although I am not 100% sure. So the problem of using the iPod interface while driving is eliminated. The advantage of being hidden and hardwired is excellent.
I was scepticle when I got mine (a gift from the wife) because it didn't display the artist/song name. The Phatbox is one of those things that unless you have actually tried and used it is difficult to appreciate. The concept is excellent because there is no taking your eyes off the road while browsing playlist, artist, genre, and/or album. Too bad when they were first introduced to VW as a dealer installed option they were $800!! By introducing them at that price point it turned a lot of people off for good.
Yes the sexy woman's voice... I almost forgot about that too.

·
Registered
189 Posts

Where did you get one of these for $120? Everywhere I look they are 3x that price. For $120 I would grab one without a thought.

Modified by vascott1 at 3:07 PM 3-3-2006

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Just installed a Phatbox and it works perfectly (vascott1)

I ordered one from 1stvwparts.com (it's a VW dealer site) for $120. They still have that price but now it seems they also only have the Audi version left... The unit itself is the same for VW and Audi but the cable is different, so you'd have to hunt down the right cable. You can also order one from clairparts.com for $165, not sure which cable it comes with.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (Niche)

VW can cancel carring it through their dealerships, but they don't make it and have no say in what Phatnoise company does. I don't find it surprising they would stop carring it, at $600 a pop it was always too expensive to be a popular accessory. I expect the Phatnoise support and sales for VWs to continue in the forseeable future, so there is no need to worry. Considering how many makes these units are available for nowdays it'll always be easy to find replacement parts or cartridges and the software updates will keep on coming.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Re: (corrado&bug)

I got the phatnoise working with a Touareg satnav, I'm quite sure it'd work with the Passat too
What kind of cable are you using?
in my mk4 Golf the phatnoise would not work with my satnav until I bought a genuine Audi cable!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.