VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i installed a coilover kit on my 02 jetta with the stock shocks, and the ride is harsh.
it bounces over every little bump in the road,im guessing i need some new shocks now? or is it something else that i need?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Re: just installed coilver kit w/stock shocks & it rides like crap,help!! (JETTA420)

The stock struts/shocks have very little dampening/rebound to handle such a stiff spring. It's almost like you are riding on springs alone, since the dampener does nothing to help eliminate bounciness.
You can go with a better strut/shock (ie. Bilstein sport or Koni Yellows), but don't expect a soft ride. A matched strut will help control your suspension over bumps by eliminating the bounce, but your ride will be very stiff (similar to riding on rails http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif ).
Good luck.
BTW... which coilover kit did you go with? GC, Skunk2, OBX, etc???

[Modified by chuck_simpson, 2:06 PM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Re: just installed coilver kit w/stock shocks & it rides like crap,help!! (chuck_simpson)

not to bum you out, but i've never heard of a coilover clamp on system that is worth anything other than making your car look good for shows. unfortunately, with new VW's, you get what you pay for most of the time.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Re: just installed coilver kit w/stock shocks & it rides like crap,help!! (M this 1!)

quote:[HR][/HR]not to bum you out, but i've never heard of a coilover clamp on system that is worth anything other than making your car look good for shows. unfortunately, with new VW's, you get what you pay for most of the time.[HR][/HR]​
I'm not sure what you mean by "coilover clamp on system", but Ground Control makes an excellent threaded sleeve and uses special design Eibach springs that perform very well when mated to a good shock (ie. Koni Yellows). Everyone seems to think this is a great alternative for the track/auto-x. I'm just curious as with what system JETTA420 bought?

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Re: just installed coilver kit w/stock shocks & it rides like crap,help!! (JETTA420)

1. coilover springs are too stiff for stock dampers to control.
2. Even with appropiate dampers, the ride WILL be harsher.
3. You've lowered the car... cut your suspension travel in half so the suspension will drop/rise more quickly.

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Re: just installed coilver kit w/stock shocks & it rides like crap,help!! (lotus7)

i'm referring to how most of these kits fit onto a stock shock. they usually have bolts that push into the shock. and no stock shock is supposed to be run with aftermarket springs, because to lower you need to stiffen the rate. and to coinside with the increase spring rate, you need increased shock valving.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Re: just installed coilver kit w/stock shocks & it rides like crap,help!! (M this 1!)

quote:[HR][/HR]i'm referring to how most of these kits fit onto a stock shock. they usually have bolts that push into the shock. and no stock shock is supposed to be run with aftermarket springs, because to lower you need to stiffen the rate. and to coinside with the increase spring rate, you need increased shock valving.[HR][/HR]​
I agree with you that most of those kits are not designed very well. As long as you stick with a good company like GC (which designs the coilover system to work with most popular aftermarket shocks ie. Koni, Bilstein, etc). A friend of mine had a set of OBX coilover sleeves, and you were required to go to a hardware store and buy some rubber hose that fits inbetween the strut and coilover sleeve. Kinda cheesy if you ask me, but I guess it worked fairly well for him after the install. I think others require that you weld the sleeve onto your strut, which makes strut replacement difficult if needed. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts