VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thought maybe you guys might like my skidplate more than the rest of my car haha.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Beautiful, but why aR&R sign, those are hard to come across, maybe a stop sign. Where did you bolt the sign into because I have a few signs laying around and this would save a few bones.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha yeah, I was looking for a stop sign but this presented itself and is just far more impressive than a stop sign. Plus its realy thick alluminum.

I actualy welded four bolts onto.the crossmember and put one in front plus its up over the bumper

·
Registered
986 Posts
Wait you bolted 4 bolts through the. Sign and through the subframe. And then welded them in?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh no haha, sorry i mispoke, i meant welded the nuts to the subframe. sorry

·
Registered
986 Posts
Ahhhhhhhh i gotcha. good idea. i wouldnt have thought of that. Do you have more pics sir? I have a dead end sign, no passing zone, and Stop sign.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not realy any good ones haha, im trying to upload a video i took of it after the install but my phones being tarded.

this one i circled 3 of the 4 points i welded nuts too. the subframe had twqo holes already in it perfect for it an the sides i just improvised with interesting welding haha. the front i just used a mounting point already on the charge pipe

·
Registered
986 Posts
Okay, Schweet, Thanks dude, Did you have to bend, cut or tuck any corners, I know the sign is round but you know what i mean.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah if you look close at the first two pics you can see how i cut the far sides where the sway bars hang down on full extension.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
haha thanks man. just get under there and put a little ingenuity into it and you'll laugh at how simple it is

·
Registered
986 Posts
Yeah, i shared your link to a buddy and hes got a Lazer so were gonna borrow a stop sign, and mock his up, then do mine with a dead end sign i have hanging in my room. Thanks again.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
video i was trying to upload earlier that shows all 5 mounting points.

clicky clicky

·
Registered
409 Posts
Do you think that this will decrease airflow to the engine? I'd really like a skid plate sign but have no welder :( I do have plenty of signs tho :D

I'm not too worried about cracking my pan, I just wanna keep dust out of my engine bay area to stay clean longer.

Looks really good though!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you think that this will decrease airflow to the engine?
no, to be honest i would only think it makes the bay an even lower pressure area helping to bring more air into the bay.
I'd really like a skid plate sign but have no welder I do have plenty of signs tho
my original plan was to run the bolts just through the subframe but that would be a horrible idea since it would be all but impossible to get a hand on the top nut if you put them in good places but with a smaller sign you may be able to get away with it.

like i told the tyler, just grab a sign and get under there you should be able to come up with something. finding a buddy with a welder though in any case is going to make your install a million times more nice and easier.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Awesome bro,

thanks for the tips. I'll get on this as soon as I finish everything else I'm doing (heads, timing belt, cleaning up wires, new tires, new control arms and tie rods, fixing exhaust leak, o2 sensor mod, the list probably goes on lol...)

I have a couple huge signs and some smaller ones too. I'll probably do a mock up with cardboard first or something. Thanks again. It looks awesome!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts