VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide if I should run VCDS via a long USB cable out to the car or install it on my Macbook pro using Boot Camp and windows Vista.

Any advice?

· Registered
35 Posts
I thought about doing the Boot Camp deal on my MB and then decided netbooks are so cheap these days to just get one I can keep in the shop / car. Looked at a few on CL and decided to just get a new one from Dell when I ordered my son a laptop for college for $199. Another option is to pick up an old laptop for $100 or so, there are a bunch out there, you just might need to get a battery for it.

· Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the info guys.

My next question is has anyone had luck running VCDS via bootcamp and windows 7?

Just figuring out which windows OS I should buy. I realize XP is the most proven but if I can have the latest version of windows along with the ability to run VCDS that would be ideal:thumbup:

· Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK I went ahead and ordered Windows 7 64 bit to install on my MBP via bootcamp. I will report back if there is any trouble running VCDS but based on this I don't expect any:

1.16 What about Windows 7?
Yes, the current VCDS Release version fully supports Windows 7 (both 32 and 64 bit versions) .
Everything stated in the previous two questions about Windows Vista also applies to Windows 7. However, there is one caveat:
- If you have a genuine Ross-Tech interface which is compatible with current VCDS versions,
you should use the latest Release. We introduced a Windows-7 aware installer starting with Beta 904.

· Registered
103 Posts
I am using Windows 7 on my Macbook right now; finished scanning my B6 about 15 minutes ago and had zero issues. While a netbook is handy to fit into the toolbox, it would be one more thing to pack when I go on the road.

· Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys yeah,I had no trouble running windows 7 64 bit on my MBP with bootcamp. I ran VCDS beta 10.4:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.