VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and all I can say is WOW!!! The SMG shifting system is soooooo cool and convenient, too. Hit some traffic on my way back from the dealer and just flipped it into automatic mode. It's so cool to hear the system double clutch when you down shift. Quote: "If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Re: Just picked up the new M3 ... (BLKGTIVR6)

I think you made the right choice anyway, steel gray looks great indoors all cleaned up......but I just find it to be a little boring when outside, maybe I'm just crazy.

Black looks tough on the M3

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Re: Just picked up the new M3 ... (DohRado)

quote:[HR][/HR]*looks at m3 poster on wall*
damn you!
[HR][/HR]​
Same here, except mine was n the wallpaper. Congrats on the purchase btw. Pics are a must. You have to change your username now. lol

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Re: Just picked up the new M3 ... (BLKGTIVR6)

which dealership did you go to? I worked at Allison BMW last summer in Mountian View and i'll probably work there again...........lemme know if you need anything -- i still got the hookups

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Re: Just picked up the new M3 ... (TabulaRasa)

quote:[HR][/HR]I'd love an nice well-taken care of E30!!
Me too, with a E46 M3 engine swap! (sorry, I just can't stand 4 cylinders)
[HR][/HR]​
You've obviously never driven an E30 M3 have you?
A nicely set up one can easily beat an E46 on a road course, and they're incredibly fast in a straight line to boot.

·
Registered
20,208 Posts
Re: Just picked up the new M3 ... (TabulaRasa)

quote:[HR][/HR]I'd love an nice well-taken care of E30!!
Me too, with a E46 M3 engine swap! (sorry, I just can't stand 4 cylinders)
[HR][/HR]​
I can't see the images, but I am surprised that motor will fit into the E30. It is very big and tall. The engine had to be tilted to fit into the E46 chassis, and the front axle runs through the oil pan. I would think that the E30's bay would be just too damn small.

·
Registered
13,738 Posts
Re: Just picked up the new M3 ... (IsraelGT)

Nice choice, I saw black the other day and that car just looked man. On another note at AWE a few weeks ago I saw a 2002 with a E30 M3 motor and some race tires, what a very cool little car!
Mike

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Re: Just picked up the new M3 ... (nub0w)

quote:[HR][/HR]You've obviously never driven an E30 M3 have you?
A nicely set up one can easily beat an E46 on a road course, and they're incredibly fast in a straight line to boot.[HR][/HR]​
Easily beat an E46 M3 on a road course? Sure, maybe if the E46 driver is drunk, lost and asleep at the wheel, or if the E30 is a Gruppe A car that has no hope of seeing street use, otherwise all the E30 driver will see is taillights. There's not just a serious power to weight ratio disparity here, but there's also superior handling and braking to contend with too. Sure, the E46 weighs more but it also has fifteen years of development under its belt too.
In a straight line, there isn't any comparison whatsoever. The E46 will leave it choking on tire dust.
That being said, the E30 is still a terrific car, with wonderful balance, feel and tossability that is lost in most over-tired cars available today. They are wonderfully visceral and involving to drive and there is much to love and respect in the E30 M3, but it is not in the same performance league as the E46 M3, on course or off.
-Jonathan

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Re: Just picked up the new M3 ... (2lowA4)

Hee hee hee... I'd rather stare at my Porsche GT2 poster at work than a M3 poster

I don't doubt the performance advantages of SMG II on the M3, and I'm pretty sure I can't beat it
But if I'm buying one at the moment I will choose the 6-speeds.

Can you actually dump the clutch on the US/Canadian spec. SMG II equiped M3? I have read that in EU. you can but BMW will void your drivetrain waranty if you do it too many times (6, I think).

·
Banned
7,292 Posts
Re: Just picked up the new M3 ... (Double-V)

quote:[HR][/HR]I can't see the images, but I am surprised that motor will fit into the E30. It is very big and tall.I would think that the E30's bay would be just too damn small.[HR][/HR]​
They've put V12's from an 850i and the E36 M3 engine in there, I'm sure it's just a matter of money.
quote:[HR][/HR]You've obviously never driven an E30 M3 have you?
A nicely set up one can easily beat an E46 on a road course, and they're incredibly fast in a straight line to boot.[HR][/HR]​
No, but I have owned a E30 325e and driven a few 325i's...with different diff gearing, a E30 325i can be faster than a E30 M3 in a straight line and tuned to handle just as well, if not better.
If an E30 M3 could beat an E46 M3 on a road course, i'd have to be narrow as hell with lots of tight turns. The new M3 would destroy the E30 everywhere else. 333hp vs. 194hp or 220 in the Evo II?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Just picked up the new M3 ... (1Point8T)

The SMG is impressive and it does have 6 speeds. There's actually a setting were you can rev the engine and dump the clutch and it definitely shifts faster in the sport setting. No comparison to a normal 6 speed.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.