VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Man, was this ever interesting. I just read this in 2004 and it blew me away; I could only imagine how much of a stir this caused when first printed in 1990. I'm 10 times more knowledgeable about production process managament than I was before.
The book looks at TPS & lean manufacturing, versus more traditional mass production methods. Granted, in the 14 years since this book was published most industries are moving towards lean, but this book must have been an 800lb gorilla when it first came out.
Awesome book http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Quote »
This is a report of worldwide significance, based on a co-operative venture between MIT and the world's largest car makers from three continents. The authors show in detail how Japan's innovative 'lean production' methods work, why the Japanese are beating Western manufacturing, and how, through international co-operation, some of this erosion can be impaired in the future. Written by James P. Womack, Daniel T. Jones and Daniel Roos. Hardback. 323 pages, Rawson Associates, 1st edition, May 1990. ISBN 0892563508

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Just read an awesome automotive book (synthsis)

Quote, originally posted by synthsis »
323 pages, i dont think ive read that many pages TOTAL in my whole life

I didn't say it was easy, I said it was awesome. It's a thick read, written by engineers, using technical examples and jargon, along with stastical analysis charts. Well worth the time.

·
Registered
2019 Golf R, 2019 XC90
7,187 Posts
Is that a book available at Barnes and Noble or is it a pretty rare thing? Mechanical engineering interests me greatly and its what my major is, just I constantly have doubts if it is what I think its going to be, etc. I wouldn't mind checkin' that out (although I'm sure it would not help me toward a major). It just sounds damn interesting.
Sidenote:
MIT's president is a graduate of WVU's School of Engineering... what's that tell ya

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Strange.. I was involved in our companies latest "Kaizen" event.. and during a video on JIT manufacturing they mentioned this book.
I actually took a note to find it and read it.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (LuckyDogg)

Quote, originally posted by LuckyDogg »
Is that a book available at Barnes and Noble or is it a pretty rare thing? Mechanical engineering interests me greatly and its what my major is, just I constantly have doubts if it is what I think its going to be, etc. I wouldn't mind checkin' that out (although I'm sure it would not help me toward a major). It just sounds damn interesting.

It is a mainstream book. Your local library will likley have it, if not Barnes and Noble will for sure 100% have it.
Interesting you're doubting your Mech Eng degree. I just finished a degree in Business & Political Science, and am doing a post-grad at the Canadian Automotive Institute. If I could do it all again, I would have gone through for Engineering. I even contemplated doing a 2-year CET, before deciding on the CAI.
Engineering background + Business savvy = unstoppable combo

·
Banned
4,095 Posts

Theres something to brag about!

·
Banned
6,574 Posts
Re: Just read an awesome automotive book (Volkswagenut)

I had to read that back in school (Management Science class).
I posted it here before, but the cro-magnons that frequent this place weren't interested.

Hopefully they will be this time, as it is a great read, especially if you're interested in all things automotive.
Here's the cover that I'm more familiar with...

·
Registered
'20 Kia Telluride SX, '17 Mazda CX-5, '07 Airstream Safari SE 23'
11,090 Posts
Re: Just read an awesome automotive book (DCS)

Quote, originally posted by DCS »
I posted it here before, but the cro-magnons that frequent this place weren't interested.

Blah! Ooog no read so good. Use book to crack up rock. Hope food in side. Then post on Vor Tex: Hi brids yuck! Gee Emm yuck! Con sum er Re port yuck!

Tom, who still needs to read the Lexus and the Olive Tree

·
Registered
2,729 Posts

didn't you hear, Reading is fundamental

·
Registered
5,390 Posts

Well you should recap your statement, you have as of today 3948 posts, so that means you have at least read 323 pages.(just not in the old school paperbound book format)
well i could be wrong, you could just be "lookin at all da pritty pikturs"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts