VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to go 5 aspect ratio bigger. Where I was suppose to go with 205/45/16, I went with 205/50/16. It gives my stocky a 10mm increase in diameter, or a 5mm increase in height. But that was the only way I was going to get the Bridgestone SO-3's onto my 16" WE BBS RXII's. I haven't notice too much difference yet, except for the increase in road noise. My Potenza RE910 never made noise like that before. They don't look specail, they don't feel special, but for CAD$1300, they must be special. I'll give it a few days to break in, and see if it worth keeping. I think money could be better spend on Turn2 motormounts, strut bars, and so forth, and get a cheaper set of tires instead!
I'd like to hear your experiences with other reasonabley priced tires.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Re: Just slapped on Potenza SO-3 Pole Position tires.... it fits! (JoeBoxerVR6)

I have the RE730's and i think with Bridgestones you have to warm up the tires first before they perform their best. I never get a chance to so i don't get the full benefit. those SO-3's sure are top of the line.
I think the SO-3's have a great looking tread pattern.
i'm still trying to decide what tires to get next for my 16" rims.
Mike

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Just slapped on Potenza SO-3 Pole Position tires.... it fits! (VR6Mike)

They are no doubt excellent tires. But my car is stock... and its now almost a foot off the ground. Its like Subaru Outback Tall now!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Re: Just slapped on Potenza SO-3 Pole Position tires.... it fits! (JoeBoxerVR6)

actually you have a 20+ mm increase in diameter so you have 10 mm more in heigth
btw they do to much noise , and for a sotck car I dont think its worth it
just my opinion

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Just slapped on Potenza SO-3 Pole Position tires.... it fits! (GR8CAR)

SaabFan: It rainned yesturday evening, and I was in a rush to get home to post my project to the server that was due in 5 min, so I had to take it to the limits. From experience, I would usually take this highway interchange at max of 120kph in the wet with the C, before I feel some drift with the old Potenza 910 all season. But I was hitting 130kph, and it wasn't drifting yet, so it gave it some more, and next thing I knew I was on 142-144kph, and it wasn't really drifting, just my heads playing tricks with me. So they are definately wet performers. These tires can probably handle more than my head could at the moment. I think it can do wet no just as good as my previous Audi A4 Quattro did, cause I took the Audi to that interchange at the same speed in the wet, and it did do a nice controlled drift too.
In the dry, I didn't notice too much difference except in corners where it won't off rail where my previous RE910 did. The thing handles like its on rail. Love these tires. Again, I think it can handle more than what I credit it for!
As for Air Pressure.... Whatever the Bridgestone guys pumped in for me.
GR8CAR: You are right, it is a 10mm increase in height. I do notice a bit more noise than the all seasons, but almost nothing compared to the wind noise that the C generates anyways. But hearing the slight increase in tire noise, made me feel more confidence as if there is any change in characteristics, it will communicate it to me.
As for the Stock thing, again, you are right. I could benifit alot more from a lowered centered of gravity, and some bracings.
But for some strange reason, I love the extra ride height!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.