VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had the AutoThority Chip for about the past 2 weeks. They are local and I had their product in my old A4 1.8T and was happy with it, so I thought, hell why not put it in the GTi. Well, to be honest I just was not as impressed with it as I was 2 years ago in the Audi. I'm not sure why, but I think it was just a case of being too used to it. So I decided to use their 30 day money back garauntee and then purchase a new GIAC program from Curry's around the corner from me (I'm lucky to have about 3-4 tuners/mechanics within 5-15 minutes of my house
Note: what you are about to read is in no way supposed to be 'bad mouthing' AutoThority, its products or the company name. I'm just going to state the facts of my scenario. I'm happy with their customer service in taking the chip back, no questions asked.
So I figured the entire ordeal would be easy, go to Curry's, have them take the autothority chip out, put the new GIAC socket and chip in, then I take my Autothority/Stock chip back and have it returned to OEM program by AutoThority and get my money back (note: AutoThority re-programs the STOCK chip).
This was not to be. Autothority stated that thet have to take the chip out and then return it to stock, charging me another $60 in the process. I asked why, since I was already going to pay Curry's to put the GIAC in, why pay you another $60 to take your chip out?! They then told me that before soldering the chip with thier program back onto my ECU, they use a special glue to hold the chip in place! They said they do this because they had cases where people were taking the chips out and stealing their programs. So now they use this glue, which they keep the solvent to, and if you try to take the chip out without the solvent, it will break on the ECU!!
Long story short, I took it back to them and had them replace the program with the OEM tune, and got my money back minus the initial install price ($75) and the new un-install price $60. I'm not complaining about that, as most places have a re-stocking fee anyway. this is fine.
What I did want to tell you in this long winded post is that I believe AutoThority should be telling its customers about this 'glue' they use. Maybe I'm stupid and that this is a common glue that any good mechanic shop would have solvent for. But I thought to myself, what if I was not close to them, or I wanted to go to a "tuner BBQ" and was offered a test with another chip and that tuner tried to take the Autothority chip out and then it broke? I think I, as a consumer of their product, should have been informed about this. Am I in the wrong? Do any of you know of other tuners using this type of glue process?
Sorry for the long post, just thought some of you might want to know.
later
Chris

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Re: just UN-Chipped my GLUED AutoThority chip... (18trbov5)

Man you hit it smack between the eyes!!! I can atest to the fact that the glue CAN and WILL damage your ECU if you remove the chip - When I was changing to UPsolute for my K04 we encountered that very problem - removing the "Glue" (which is more like an epoxy of some sort) my ECU got damaged and had to be replaced... I was VERY unhappy to find out that there is such "security" measure on there considering that if a dealer cracks the ecu open they'll see it right away (along side the pretty AutoThority sticker on the inside of the ecu box...) I liked the chip and everything it did - I didn't like that I was told that the chip is undetectable yet a simple visual inspection would have made me look stupid (had it come to it) - I mean COME ON - A STICKER????????????

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: just UN-Chipped my GLUED AutoThority chip... (Gambit)

thats sucks that you had to learn the hard way. Did you try and get some kind of money from them for not telling you about the glue since it damaged your ECU?
C

·
Registered
4,351 Posts

well the sticker needs to not be put on the ECU!!!!
And the glue thing is weird. I would prefer to not have the glue put on my ECU.
If they are worried about someone stealing their software they need to invest in some encrypters like GIAC did..Or something....Or atleast ell you about the glue and the potential damage that could occure.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Re: just UN-Chipped my GLUED AutoThority chip... (drm916)

Before anyone goes to get their UP chip removed, just let me say- If I chipped your car you need to send it to me for removal. I use small nails to secure the chip to the board, you can't tell because I fill in the holes on the chip with black silicone a fuse it with the surface of the chip so it looks stock.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: just UN-Chipped my GLUED AutoThority chip... (flanders)

nice. they should just use a Pad lock. its less obvious

·
Banned
13,061 Posts
Re: just UN-Chipped my GLUED AutoThority chip... (18trbov5)

There should be enough naphtha and benzene in one drop of gasoline to take care of that cross-linked epoxy.

Just allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes to penetrate.

[Modified by Electron Man, 11:59 AM 4-5-2002]

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Re: just UN-Chipped my GLUED AutoThority chip... (Electron Man)

what effect would it have on the PCB itself? Any?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts

bought my Autothority from Gambit and it had some red stuff and a slightly bent pin, but otherwise the chip installed in my car and worked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.