VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My windshield was cracked and need to be replaced... Since i'm changing the windshield anyway, i decided to have the windshield with the right mount for the rain sensor and auto dimming mirror... I bought the mirror, rain sensor, all covers for $80 shipped from Germany (used)... I bought the relay for $30 from a local junk yard...
The cost for the windshield is $242 including everything and all taxes... I didn't connect the wire for the rain sensor nor the auto dimming because of missing connectors
I hope they will show up in Thursday... Since they already remove the windshield, i decided to run all the wires behind the headliner and the A-Piller... It it very easy with the windshield removed... I will post and let evryone knows when i connect the wires soon..
Here is the old mirror:

The new mirror:

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Re: Just upgraded to Auto-Dimming mirror with rain sensor... (GTi 1.8Turbo)

yup my windshield cracked in the same fashion...damn these oem windshields! shelled out 240$ installed to replace my windhshield....only thing i wish is that it had cracked when my warranty was valid....

stupid windshield crackin on me; and i didn't do anything to instigate it........

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Just upgraded to Auto-Dimming mirror with rain sensor... (bernski)

No... My deductible is $500 so it's not covered...

·
Registered
9,059 Posts

In Florida, insurance companies have to replace your windshield for free without opening a claim.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Re: (cp0k)

Quote, originally posted by cp0k »
My windshield cracked EXACTLY like that once, replaced free of charge (waranty)

u mean the warranty covers windshield, i have 2004 gti 1.8t, so the stealership can fix it for free, im confused.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts

Quote, originally posted by GTi 1.8Turbo »

The new mirror:

You have GOT to do a writeup on how you connected this. My windshield is also cracked and I might as well do this when I get that installed. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
did you guys go to the dealer to change the winshield or some local shop? and if from the local shop, does the VIN cutout on the winshield line up to the VIN plate? $240 is less than i was thinking.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (JY VPI)

I went to local Glass Shop (Elite Auto Glass)... When I ordered a new windshield, they ask me three questions... Is it 2 or 4 doors? Does it has a rain sensor or not?? does it have the sunshade thing (that green line in the top)... I have a cut out for the VIN...
Also, they have the rain sensor adhisive... They put a new one for me... It's hard to find but they have it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Just upgraded to Auto-Dimming mirror with rain sensor... (BlackMage)

Rain sensor will adjust the wiper inter. speed depends on if the windshield has some water or not.. If there no water/rain, your wipers will stop working until it has some water...

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Re: (areku_x)

Quote, originally posted by areku_x »
u mean the warranty covers windshield, i have 2004 gti 1.8t, so the stealership can fix it for free, im confused.

They will fix it under warranty IF and only IF nothing hit the windshield (like a rock or something) they will take care of it for free once they rule out that the cause of the crack was a factory default. Obviously a factory default is covered under warranty. Good luck http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (cp0k)

I did the wiring today... The rain sensor appears to work, but the weather is sunny today... If i put my hand on the sensor, the wipers work until i remove my hands...
I will check the auto dimming tonight...

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (GTi 1.8Turbo)

Yesterday it was raining... The rain sensor works perfectly... It will turn on the wipers if you have lot of rain on the windshield... I've noticed that wipers go to a full speed if it's harldy raining...
I used to have lot of water before wipe... Now, i simply can't do that... The rain sensor will not let the water on your windshield even if you set it to the lowest sinsivity...

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Re: Just upgraded to Auto-Dimming mirror with rain sensor... (BlackMage)

Quote, originally posted by BlackMage »
what does the rain sensor do?

Annoys the hell out of you. Its stock on all UK Boras except the base model and it means the wipers have a mind of their own. Its not particuarly effective.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts