VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The more i surf the net more i start getting ideas on what route i should take with the Coupe. The GTI wont be done this year thanks to me wanting to VRT a 76 Rabbit and its currently getting sprayed. It kinda took the GTI's spot which im regretting now. If i let my boy spray the GTI it would be done in time for H20 but its not the case so that leaves me with the Coupe.....& a mint 83 GTI. I have 2 VR6 motors, one is a complete swap (full harness, K-frame, rad. everything....) and it would be nice to VR the coupe but i already have a money sucking VR in the Passat so 2 is enough. Next option would be to turbo the 16v. Im not taking this route due to it being way outta the Coupes budget. I have an Eaton charger that i've been toying with the idea of a SC 16v. I dunno.
. The Coupe needs body work but it has to wait inline till the GTI gets some loving. I need a few other things that i just ordered (strut bearings, balljoints, etc....). I was thinking about using the set of Patec C/O's that i have for the GTI but we all how bad we feel when you start to take parts off one project for another & i've been doing this not to mention im still replacing parts i used for the Coupe.
*sigh* The power on the 16v is strong as hell and can smoke em up with the ease. Pulls like a monster but its starting not to be enough. Im leeaning towards just spending the money on getting he whole car balanced out as far as the cars handling. I already have upper stress, lower front, rear upper & lower installed. I just need some decent suspension to balance it out.
If the stars and planets align, i will be swapping in a ABA out of my 98 Jetta i have sitting inthe backyard. It has 33k original miles. (I had the Jetta since new) and dumping it to the oilpan.
ARGHHHH, decisions decisions.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Re: Just venting my dilema's........... (TurboXpert)

I had a 16v in my coupe like you said runs great, but have the need for power. So what did I do sold the 16v for $250 and bought a Vr for $500, and rest is history. IMO Go with a Vr in the coupe.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Just venting my dilema's........... (Tund Vr)

Quote, originally posted by Tund Vr »
IMO Go with a Vr in the coupe.

That would be the easiest thing for me to do as i have everything for the swap but i already have a VR project and a VR as a daily family car. This is my 4th 16v but the first that i actually did something to so im leaning towards keeping the 16v. To be honest. VR's are a PITA to maintain. especially when you have a wife that doesnt give a schit cause she knows you will fix it. Last week i must have done 6-7 oil changes and it definitely didnt get any easier. I might have to take the motor out of the Rabbit just to change the freakin' oil filter
. Im gonna save one VR as a back up and give the complete VR setup to my older brother for his MKIII. I so regret getting rid of my ITB's & stand alone that i had originally bought for the Coupe but decided to sell it when irealized it was more money then i wanted to spend.
I just got off the phone with my fabricator and we're thinking about slapping this Eaton we have at the shop. Just need a custom bracket made to support it. I dunno. I don't wanna commit to something that i will regret later so i'm gonna ponder some ideas. I bottom line is that it has to be cheap as possible (this is why im tryingto use stuff i already have.)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts

Quote, originally posted by TurboXpert »

That would be the easiest thing for me to do as i have everything for the swap but i already have a VR project and a VR as a daily family car. This is my 4th 16v but the first that i actually did something to so im leaning towards keeping the 16v. To be honest. VR's are a PITA to maintain. especially when you have a wife that doesnt give a schit cause she knows you will fix it. Last week i must have done 6-7 oil changes and it definitely didnt get any easier. I might have to take the motor out of the Rabbit just to change the freakin' oil filter
. Im gonna save one VR as a back up and give the complete VR setup to my older brother for his MKIII. I so regret getting rid of my ITB's & stand alone that i had originally bought for the Coupe but decided to sell it when irealized it was more money then i wanted to spend.

sounds like you have too many motors sitting around, you should send me one to clear up some room

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Just venting my dilema's........... (HookedOn16v)

Quote, originally posted by HookedOn16v »

sounds like you have too many motors sitting around, you should send me one to clear up some room

cool cause i got 3 1.8 8v's you can come get

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Re: Just venting my dilema's........... (HookedOn16v)

Sell all your cars and concentrate on one. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
21,428 Posts
Re: Just venting my dilema's........... (GLI_DRIVER)

Quote, originally posted by GLI_DRIVER »
Sell all your cars and concentrate on one. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

have a daily, and the project..
thats what im sizing down to.
oh yea. sell the vr setup .
4 banger 4 life

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Just venting my dilema's........... (golf198v3.0)

Quote, originally posted by golf198v3.0 »

have a daily, and the project..
thats what im sizing down to.
oh yea. sell the vr setup .
4 banger 4 life

Well, that was my goal...last year.... Im not at 2 projects, 2 daily's. The GTI is gonna be built for auto-x type races where power, traction & handling will play a huge part. Same goes for the MKI Rabbit except it will be the drag car (imagine trying to auto-x a VRT Rabbit ) Then a MKI for my daily power fix & the Coupe as my BBB (Black Beauty with Benifits
).
I have quite a few MKII's that i have sitting in the cut that i never talk about like my Nagaro blue GLi with factory Ragtop & built 9a (although the motor has been sitting for years), a mint 86 GTI with full ABA swap that ive been trying to sell for awhile (It might be sold to a friend), 91 Corrado that i just sold to my boy. 91 GTI 16v that i sold back to the person i bought it from (my ex-partner), 98 Jetta that i bought new, only drove it for 3 yrs and tranny went and has been sitting in my back yard ever since. and my 90 Alpine white Golf
Im trying to thin my stable out. The only car that im keeping is the 91 GLi and that is for the ragtop, G60 arches, and euro fenders. The rest is going to my ex-partner. The 98 Jetta's shell is sold and motor & harness is going in the daily Rabid GTI. 5SpeedT was going to take the white Golf but his tranny went inthe Jetta so it held him up from getting it so its back on the market.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Ok, went to the local junkyard after the owner called me & said he had something for me. Well he wasnt lying & he made me an offer i couldnt refuse. A 24v VR6 with 10k, tranny and harness. The money we agreed to i didnt really have so i called up my brother and basicly sold the VR swap i had in the shed for the same price he wanted for the 24v. I also bought a 12v VR (complete swap) out of a 01 Jetta (bought it for a customers car). All for 2G's
. What im pi$sed about was that i had my camera but left he mem. card in my reader
. I'll take pics when i pick it up tomorrow but now i have 12 more valves to play with
I also had a nice set of headrest out of a vanagan (with the hole) but the poles were to wide. Got some parts for the Passat & tried looking for wheels. I almost had a set of old school 15" 3 pc ARE wheels but were 5 lug
& im still trying to get this mint triple white cabby that has been sitting in the shed for a few yrs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.