Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this is a fairly easy process.
Special Tools Needed:
Drill
Small Drill Bit.
Wire Stipper/Crimper
Ok so the hardest part was getting a connection from the switch. The pin that is Hot when the rear fogs are on is pin number 12. It is a very small pin. What i did was use a small stereo connector. Drilled out the factory Plug so that the wire and connnector would fit. One that was done i ran the wire through the plug so that there was still enough wire to connect to the euro switch. I connected my fog wire to the euro switch and then as i connected the rest of the plug to the switch pulled the excess wire back through the hole.
The rest is easy.
run the wire to the rear of the vehicle.
Then coonect it to the bottom spade. (the plug is already grounded and no need to run a wire to the other side. The circuit is completed when power is to one side.) If you want 2 rear fogs just put a bulb in each side.
The onlt other thing you will need to do is drill out or punch out the cover where the bulb will go into the housing.
I used my knife and just slit the edges and then it poped right out!
There you go it's a done deal!
(sorry i didn't take any pics!
)
IM me if you have any questions!

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Just Wired up my Rear Fogs (B4 VARIANT STYLE!!!)

Quote, originally posted by B4 VARIANT STYLE!!! »
get your e-codes yet? i'd like to see pics of rear fogs & e-codes when all is done. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

NOt yet they are on they way... i will take pics when i get them installed!

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Re: Just Wired up my Rear Fogs (intallation tips) 96 SEDAN (passat_guy21)

Quote, originally posted by passat_guy21 »

Ok so the hardest part was getting a connection from the switch. The pin that is Hot when the rear fogs are on is pin number 12. It is a very small pin. What i did was use a small stereo connector. Drilled out the factory Plug so that the wire and connnector would fit. One that was done i ran the wire through the plug so that there was still enough wire to connect to the euro switch. I connected my fog wire to the euro switch and then as i connected the rest of the plug to the switch pulled the excess wire back through the hole.

i think, but am not sure, that there's an easier way then drilling and putting a female connector in there. there are replacement wires that you can get from the dealer for about $2. what it is is a wire with that little metal piece (female connector--sort of) that slips into the open space in that plug. i've used them plenty of times for repairing sensor harnesses and for wiring up the rear fogs in a MK4. all you do is slip the wire into the open space then use a but connector to connect the long wire. it looks good and you don't have to worry about any bad connection anywhere.
this is the Part # 000979133 or 000979126 for the wire. the wire has connectors on each side so you have to cut the wire in half and save the other connector for something else. here's the link where i found out about this wire, it's in the "how 2" section under "rear fog light install" http://www.vwmkiv.com/ .
but, i have to say, i'm not sure if this will work on your car. i've used this wire on mk4 rear fogs and to repair the coolant sensor harness on my 93 vr6.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Just Wired up my Rear Fogs (Rippen Raymen)

Nice... That would make it an idot proof job! Still using a female connector and drilling the harness was and easy fix.. (and i didn't hav rto drive to the dealership!) Done in 2mins.

·
Registered
90 Corrado, 97 B4 TDI, '10 CC 4 MO
4,372 Posts
Re: Just Wired up my Rear Fogs (Rippen Raymen)

Using the repair wire is the easiest method.
Believe it or not, the factory wiring harness already has the wiring for the rear fog lights. All you have to do is connect pin 12 on the Euro switch to P/6 at the fuse/relay panel.
Here is a thread from the TDI club that describes it
http://forums.tdiclub.com/show...33627

Edited: BTW, I have Hella Smoked Euro's on the rear, when I do the mod, I will take some pictures.

Modified by 90 GT-G60 at 2:22 PM 1-4-2004

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Re: Just Wired up my Rear Fogs (passat_guy21)

does that work for sedans?? I know that the sedans are not rpewired like wagons? That would have been even easier!! Nice find~!

From what I am told, it works for sedans. I am counting on it!

·
Registered
7,636 Posts
Re: Just Wired up my Rear Fogs (90 GT-G60)

I just checked out my 95 sedan. It is wired from the fuseblock to the light socket. The TDIclub post above tells exactly what mine needs. Just one of the 000 979 126 wires inserted into pin 12 of the switch and pin 6 of plug P on the back of the fuseblock will complete the wiring. And opening the hole for the bulb. I may just do it for kicks, fog is not much of an issue here.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Just Wired up my Rear Fogs (passatvr6er)

You could wire it to come on with the front fogs...but then you would not have the option to run just rear fogs? Unless you put an inline switch in?
To run it off the from fogs run a wire off of wire number 11 (I think on the switch) and back to the fog lights or maybe even to p6 on the fuse block??

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Re: Just Wired up my Rear Fogs (passat_guy21)

To run it off the from fogs run a wire off of wire number 11 (I think on the switch) and back to the fog lights or maybe even to p6 on the fuse block??

Yep, if you don't have the Euro switch, splice in to the front fog wire and then plug that into the P/6 port on the fuse block.
Hey Passat guy, did you put in one rear fog or two?
Since I already have Hella Euro tails, I believe all I have to do is just plug in the bulbs and I am set.
Do you think that would be overkill?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.