VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

321 - 340 of 362 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Tim,

Can you help me out with some build question I have with my Callaway Turbo.

I have the 91 Mk1 Cabriolet which has the 2H engine with Digifant 1

and retrofitting everything back to the older K-Jet
with a volvo 240T CIS module and WUR.

what about the fuel pump and accumulator, should these be retrofitted as well ,
Is there a certain psi minimum ( I saw 72psi in your topic as example)

I saw you did not use a bracket from block to turbo at all.
does it hold the weight ? you think its not nescesary ?

·
Registered
832 Posts
A digifant car's fuel pump will not deliver enough fuel for a CIS fuel system.
do you know where I can find comparable operating numbers ?

and should the accumulator be changed out too ?

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
do you know where I can find comparable operating numbers ?

and should the accumulator be changed out too ?
Digifant cars didnt have accumulators. If you want one, add one. They arent 100% needed but if you have one, its easy enough to add.
If you run a standard Bosch mk1 CIS pump with the Volvo stuff, you'll be golden.
Ive personally done it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #325 (Edited)
Sorry peoples.

Its been absolutely ages since I've been back on Vortex.

Been busy with other stuff incl. house renos, thumping & racing my other car at performance car events & the drag strip.

Pretty happy, as I finally got a chance to race my ute after I've had the high stall loosened up to 4200 & the auto rebuilt.
On its last outing it ran its PB of [email protected] with a lazy 1.72 60ft in full street trim. Tarp, tailgate on etc. The works!!!!

All I do is fit the MT ET streets at home, drive the 100km trip, let the rear tyres down to 17psi, pump the fronts up to 50psi & remove the cold air intake air filter & spare wheel.

If I let the intake cool off about 30mins longer, theres maybe a 0.1 sec left in it & some reckon a couple more if I remove the tarp & tailgate completely.

At its last car event.

Heres a video I put together of a few good friends & myself having a mess around at one of the recent performance car events.

At the drags

Since my last post about the old 76er deciding to take up oil spewing again, it didn't last much longer after that last post & was then put out to pasture for a while, so I've been driving my ute as a daily since then doing the 200km round trip for work, plus several interstate trips, events etc etc.

So its been clocking up the km's & is just getting run down across the front, from road rash, small animals, exhaust is coping a hammering from speed humps etc. So not really too good for it. It still goes good, but the novelty of driving a 11 sec daily driver is wearing thin & getting boring.

So....

Its time to resurrect the old white rust bucket again with another slapper 1.8L.

Here are the pistons from Cyl's 2 & 4. Needless to say, why it was pumping oil out of it like it was going out of fashion!!!

I recently got hold of another low km 1.8L & tore it apart, cleaned it all & measured it up.
It all appears to be in good condition. The pistons are all excellent, the crank & journals are all round & have no marks in them. The bores are all consistent & have reasonable piston-bore clearances of 0.0029" being the max. (not bad, as I've set my new 20vt up with 3" thou clearance for high boost & possible NOS.) The bores also cleaned up very well with a light honing stone too!

So I'll slap in some new rings & bearings, G60 headgasket, swap over all the ARP hardware & even throw in my old 20vt rods (which are mint & came out of my 30K old 20vt I brought back in 2000), throw it back in & run a safe tune with around 13-15psi for the daily commute.

With the current tall ratio 5psd ([email protected]/h from memory), it cruised along awesome, quiet, its great on fuel & was getting consistent 440km for 32L.! (32mpg?)

No plans to race this setup, as I'd like it to last to save some $$$$$ (this costs far less to run than the ute!)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
forgive the bump.....haters...:p

no...nevermind....im not sorry...this thread is outstanding on so many levels its unrealistic...:cool:

you my friend are a real driver, not afraid to try things, do things, make things, drive and enjoy your car....for what it is, should be and can be.

good **** man....i am insanely impressed, and i would like to thank you for the inspiration, and shear creativity......you are a serious marvel, people now never risk anything, nobody runs their projects to the max anymore, and it seems caution.....never goes to the wind, and i think it should...and with that...the enjoyment goes right out the window like a raggedy cigarette butt....

so my friend...HATS OFF TO YOU....:thumbup:

sincerely,
Aaron, Tampa Florida, USA

Thanks heaps for the big thumps up Aaron!

Appreciate it & glad to be some sort of inspiration for yourself & others I suppose. Never really thought a setup so simple would get people inspired to be honest.

I've normally copped more of the CIS haters!

I've got hold of another 76 Mk1, but this one is a white 3dr. Not a swallowtail, but its the first year they were released in Australia & actually assembled here in Australia, so it has a few swallowtail parts fitted. Just not the main distinguishing feature of the rear bever panel.

Anyways, this may be the next car the K-jet turbo setup might find its way into for a daily driver while I restore this 5dr. I'd like the K-jet setup to continue & this is most likely the only way it will carry on.

Cheers again for you post!!!!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #327 (Edited)
Tim,

Can you help me out with some build question I have with my Callaway Turbo.

I have the 91 Mk1 Cabriolet which has the 2H engine with Digifant 1

and retrofitting everything back to the older K-Jet
with a volvo 240T CIS module and WUR.

what about the fuel pump and accumulator, should these be retrofitted as well ,
Is there a certain psi minimum ( I saw 72psi in your topic as example)

I saw you did not use a bracket from block to turbo at all.
does it hold the weight ? you think its not nescesary ?

G'day chief!

deathhare is 100% right about the fuel pump setup!

Due to the pretty beefy construction of the ATP cast exhaust manifold, I didn't feel it was necessary to make up a support bracket to brace the turbo.

But if you feel you should, its probable not a bad idea if you have concerns about it.

My setup has done around 30K now since I actually first turbo'd the K-jet a few years ago & have never had any problem with exhaust leaks from the head/exhaust, exhaust/turbo inlet or turbo/dump pipe.

The only problems I've had with the exhaust, is braking the flex joint after the dump pipe once & with one of the dump pipe support brackets cracking the pipe in the early days. I've since rewelded the dump pipe bracket area as seen below with some thick pipe section.

·
Registered
832 Posts

pretty fast Holden you got there.

this has the LS corvette engine ?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #329

pretty fast Holden you got there.

this has the LS corvette engine ?
Cheers chief!

Yeah its the last year of this shape being a VZ series 2. This had the 6L L76 engine fitted with the DOD hardware. But the OZ market didn't have the DOD software. This came later.

All the DOD hardware has been removed & is now the later L98 spec.

As far as mods, the engine has only had a cam, lifters & springs fitted internally. No other internal mods. Stock heads, intake, throttle body etc. Had a full twin 2.5" exhaust with 4-1 extractors, 100cel cats, Cold Air Intake, tune, 4200 stall, built auto & 3.9 gears fitted.

So very mild to say the least. Plenty more left in it & have thought about fitting either a procharger kit or a whipple style 2.4L blower. Its either that or a 100 hit of the good GAS!

That may come later on, but for now, its all about the rust bucket.

·
Registered
832 Posts
slam a Callaway Supercharger on this :wave:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #331
Well, from the last post about the new engine bore measurements.

Its now all assembled & running. All the bearing clearances measured up 100%. All between 2.1-2.3 thou! Crank end play spot on.

Once the fuel pump had primed, it fired straight up & idled cleanly no worries.

Washed off all the oil mess under the RHF gaurd & RHS floor pan, fitted up the A/F meter & boost activation light to fine tune it.

Filled up with fresh 98 & have since put about 100km of hard driving on it since it's been running. So safe to say its now bed in. No more vapour from the breather filter, even after 20km!!!!! 15psi will do that!!! haha

Settled on approx 15psi, safe fuel & timing. As its been 30+ degrees here for around a week now & more than likely the same for awhile yet.

Still moves along alright, can squeal the tyres in 2nd upto 70-80km/h no worries & thats with the tall ratio 5spd too!

If you quick change 1-2nd, you can pedal a 50m powerskid easily!

All in all, it feels like a high 13 sec pass safe tune & that will do for a streeter.

Forgot how nice it was to drive to be honest. Nice & quiet, smooth etc.

Love being in a Mk1 again.

Will get some pics tomorrow.

But for now, its all clean & eksy ready to go for tomorrows cruise

Also a pic of a recent interstate purchase.

Another Mint 76 3dr golf. Not sure whats in store for it yet. Price was right & car is a 100% awesome solid base for a all out resto, performance build up or even just a tidy up for a stock daily driver. For now it can sit in storage till I find some spare time to get around to it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #332 (Edited)
Some more pics from todays Dub Stitute 2012 event. The aftermath!

I should say thats its still clean other than some brake dust.

Also something for a laugh on the way home & something I'd never guess would happen in a million years.

We came across a AC Cobra 427 replica. Sounded like a real big block too! Big bloke driving it & was chewing on a 1" cigar/stogy hanging out his mouth. Which was pretty funny just in itself!

We cruised past him at about 95-100km/h, dropped it back to 3rd & mashed it for laughs. Well the bloke bites & he's into it too! My friend who was following in his 20vt Mk1 GTI, got into too!

Shifted into 4th & held it for tiny bit, looked down & 170km/h easy as, but called it at that. Bloke was only just starting to reel me in, in the top end.

He pulls up along side, give a big stogy grin & thumbs up. Good sport!

& luckily enough, my friend following got it all on film!!!!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #334
Mate that post made my day, old middle aged men are the best to blow by.

And I'm pretty jealous of your new whip as well.

Happy new year mate.
Cheers Mik!!! Happy new year & holidays right back at you!

The bloke caught me by surprise! I wasn't even up for a run. Just felt like going for it & he took a bite!

Pretty happy with the 3dr.

Not sure whats the plan for it. Brought it, as its mint & I felt the price was right.

But maybe a tidy up, replace all the glass seals & door/window chrome trim (plastic chrome rooted!!!), S1 GTI plastic dash, retrim/re-foam the drivers seat & fix up the rust spots & it would be a real nice cruiser.

Could go the extra length & go a Newton Comm. black door/side trim set, white roof liner & just re-trim all the seats in black vinyl with the same stitching pattern locally. Carpet is mint!

"IF" all of the above does happen, I'll probably swap in the K-jet turbo gear, brake setup & fit some KW V2's for a daily.

I'll hit you up for the S1 Ronal turbo's when your sick of them!!!!!! My favorite wheel of all time!

But for now, it can sit in my dads shed, till I find time to look at it.

Got a heap of other stuff on the go at the moment.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Could go the extra length & go a Newton Comm. black door/side trim set, white roof liner & just re-trim all the seats in black vinyl with the same stitching pattern locally. Carpet is mint!

I'll hit you up for the S1 Ronal turbo's when your sick of them!!!!!! My favorite wheel of all time!
I don't think that I will be letting the turbo's go very soon, but your interest is noted! :D

I agree, go out and get the cards/liner/parcel tray etc from Newton and make it nice and like new. I have bought these for my car and think that it really is worth the investment.

Black vinyl re-trim is not that costly either. It will be a nice looking machine in that get up. :thumbup:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #336 (Edited)
I don't think that I will be letting the turbo's go very soon, but your interest is noted! :D

I agree, go out and get the cards/liner/parcel tray etc from Newton and make it nice and like new. I have bought these for my car and think that it really is worth the investment.

Black vinyl re-trim is not that costly either. It will be a nice looking machine in that get up. :thumbup:
Yeah I had another look around home & found I have a couple of "mint" spare seats with the same mustard color seat trims.

So all I really need is to replace the drivers seat base trim & seat backrest foam & it will be mint.

Parcel shelf is repairable, as I've done plenty before & then track down a Series 1 plastic GTI dash.

Rest of the interior is pretty mint, although it could do with a roof liner replacement too. Stains & a couple of tears.

The complete newton replacement would be bloody nice, but they don't do the arm rest style rear side panels.

Also prefer "stock" original stuff.

If the stock stuff is in nice condition, why not keep it all stock. Even if it is mustard!!! haha

·
Registered
5 Posts
mk1 golf 2 piece mounts

where can i purchase the 2 piece front mount for the mk1 golf....wicked car even better than the tt mk1 of the 80s. thank you....:thumbup:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #338
where can i purchase the 2 piece front mount for the mk1 golf....wicked car even better than the tt mk1 of the 80s. thank you....:thumbup:
Thanks for the comments.

If your talking about the front engine/gearbox mount, they came out from the UK. I can't remember how much they cost, as I've since lost the invoice.

But you can contact the company on ClubGTI.com. Not sure if you need to create an account or not.

But the person your chasing is HRP Kim.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #339
Well, SFA has been going on with the Mk1 since its been rebuilt, apart from the daily grind.

The only thing thats been letting down enjoying the drive, is its had brake shudder for awhile now. I've had the discs machined twice & it lasts for about 3 weeks each time, before the shudder starts up again. I had a 280mm conversion before reverting back to the stock GTI discs & they also had the same problem, even after being machined.

I decided to just bite the bullet & replace the front hubs, bearings, new discs & pads.

The hubs have done roughly 600-650+k & are the original hubs from my first Mk1, so it must have been due for replacement.

I ended up fitted another set of ATE Powerdiscs, Mintex pads, Meyle front hubs & generic front wheel bearings.

I did want to fit a set of ARP studs to the hubs, but they didn't come in time.

Now the car is back to being a joy to drive again & really looking forward to doing some interstate trips in it over the next few months.

Over the last few weeks, its been averaging 33mpg, even with 15psi still wound into, so the tank range isn't too bad either.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well John I am really impressed the milage/km you get with your car if indeed your conversions are correct and I dont see why not because you seem pretty smart. in the states our fuel is going down the tubes as far as quality and price lately and my Kjet is suffering for this it only gets about 205 miles per 9 gallons of fuel and if yhe car sits for a 2 week spell it runs really bad with misfire under boost then I make a few adjustments to get it to run good throughout the range and then refuel with fresh gas and start over back and fourth ........so for me I believe its time for some electronic management...........oh and back to the fuel here 10% ethonal wich absorbs moisture easily and degrades fast(looses octane)

321 - 340 of 362 Posts