VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,547 Posts
Re: K & N Air Filters for Touareg V8 (Bigtop)

I did. The posts were around the last two weeks of December. Driver's side <2 minutes; passenger side required a plasma donation. Very, very tight fit. More induction song now, but the regular paper filters are so big I doubt that limited air flow is a problem.

· Registered
2,674 Posts
Re: (LittleSkull)

Quote, originally posted by LittleSkull »

You're not serious right? Why would a K&N be worse than the OEM one?

Maybe the K&N filters are just a waste of money because they don't appear to offer any advantage over the stock VW ones in our Touaregs. Perhaps any additional air flow over the stock ones would be asking for trouble as far as unwanted debris getting into the system?

· Registered
60,766 Posts
Re: (LittleSkull)

One problem that you can have with the K&N over the stock air filter is over-oiling by novice users. If you over-oil it and the extra oil gets onto the mass air flow sensor, you will need to replace the sensor. Supposedly they aren't cheap either.
K&N filters can also be a pain to take care of too. When they get dirty, you have to wash them and re-oil them. This adds another time to screw up.

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: K & N Air Filters for Touareg V8 (Bigtop)

Just installed the K & N filters. Whoever, designed the air filter housings is a complete and utter moron! It is inexcusable at how difficult it is too change out the passenger side filter. What were they thinking. I had to chop with a knife the existing filter (passenger side only) to get it out of the tiny gap that is available. The 'G' clips are not hinged to fold back, so they act as great hooks to snag the filters. Then had to vacuum out the housings to make sure I did not leave any debris before installing the K & N's.
One of the main benefits of the K & N's is that they are slimmer that the OEM's and will therefore be easier to access for future maintenance as they will slip in and out of the housings easier.
THe reason I bought them is I have had good experiences with them in the past, I live at 10,000 feet and any extra air my engines can get makes a big difference!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.