VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if they are worth it. A lot of people tell me that stock air box is good, but if i only put a k&n drop-in filter will i notice a difference. Will i ear the pshhhhhhhhhh
Any tought on that
thanx

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
Re: K&n drop-in filter (MacPhisto)

You will not notice any performance gains. In fact depending on your ECU and or how sesitive your butt dyno is you may feel a loss in power in certain RPM ranges. That being said I run one with the airbox mod and the rear hood seal removed and my car runs great. It pulls strong and hard up to 6k. This tells me the best bet is to get a CAI that pulls air from the lower front portion of the car. The difference between having the rear hood seal in place or removed with a modded airbox is amazing. You can actually feel it and of course with a modded airbox you can hear the pssssttt loud and clear. On the other hand it will cost you $150 to replace the airbox if you want to go back stock so again a CAI is a better bet.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Re: K&n drop-in filter (MacPhisto)

On my Bug, I can definitely heard the turbo whine better. Not by a heck of a whole lot, but it is definitely there. Plus, while I didn't notice any horsepower gains, throttle response was better, with the tach going up faster.
It's only US$50, so what's the big deal? Just drop it in.
-Rick

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
Re: K&n drop-in filter (dbrowne1)

quote:[HR][/HR]Wouldn't this airbox mod just suck hot underhood air, even with the hood seal removed to increase airflow?
[HR][/HR]​
If it does it doesnt seem to matter because I can tell you it runs better then a stock airbox. chris86vw
dynoed more HP gains with a modded box than pretty much anything else.

[Modified by MRP2001GTi, 6:32 PM 4-10-2002]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.