VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought a 04 v6 Touareg and want the best for it.
Will a K&N filter in the stock breather box work without kicking on the check engine light?
I used one in my 99 VR6 Eurovan, helped the MPG up to 4 or 5 more, but it turns on the Check engine light. We only use the bus for long hauls, so a little added mpg adds up fast. Finally got tired of the light and went back to paper filters. Runs great, just can't tell when you have another problem. I want to get the most out of our new to us treg.

· Registered
1,132 Posts
Hmm. Shouldn't be a problem.
The CEL in your van was probably from the MAF which got covered in oil from the new K&N. It's pretty common for them to be heavily oiled from the factory which transfers to the MAF when you're on the throttle.
Two choices to fix the problem for the Treg: degrease the K&N when you buy it and lightly re-spray it with the filter oil (kit) OR just wait for the MAF to get greasy and throw a CEL, then just get some MAF cleaner from AutoZone or something.
VW MAF's are easy to pull & clean... Two screws and a wire clip!
I'm probably wrong, but I would be surprised if you threw a CEL in the Treg due to increased intake air flow.
- Jeremy -

Modified by - Jeremy - at 4:27 PM 3-19-2008

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.