VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the maximum boost the factory K03 can handle??? I've seen 1.0 Bar chips. But can the K03 handle more? 1.1, 1.2, 1.3? I want to see how much HP I can get with the K03.
And what does each bar equal to in PSI of boost?
TIA

[Modified by TexasVWdriver, 6:14 PM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Re: K03 Maximum Boost??? (TexasVWdriver)

GIAC makes a 1.3 bar chip, but it's (ironically) only for the AWD engines and (I think) it's for use with 100 octane gas. Most chip tuners limit peak boost to 1.1 bar because after that, the K03 goes outside its efficiency range and you end up generating an unacceptable level of heat that can cause detonation.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts

Don't expect too much from the little K03. It's good turbo, but very small. I would think MAXIMUM boost is around 18-19psi (just a guess, someone else probably knows better). As for bar to psi conversion; 1 bar = 14.7psi. So a .8 bar chip is putting out about 13psi and so on.

·
Registered
24,078 Posts

Ok well that all depends, pump gas it seems that a little over an average of a 1 bar chip seems to be the max with some decent timing. That owuld mean it runs about 1 bar down low, picks up to a little over 1 bar and tapers down to a little under 1 bar. By this I mean sustained boost not boost spikes.
FWIW, audigirl (mygirlfriend) has a race chip for her A4 that runs about 1.3-1.4 bar down low and tapers off to about a 1.1-1.2 bar up top. This chip also has some nice timing which I have yet to actual do some logging on. Others have used this chp over periods of time and are having no problems, although i would not recommend this for every day use. She uses it only for drag racing, and since she is temporarily without a license, I get to play with it on the street too and from the track while we are using up the rest of the race gas, boy is that fun

chris
[email protected] http://www.pdperformance.com (slowly getting worked on)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Re: K03 Maximum Boost??? (chris86vw)

So, if someone had an upgraded I/C and maybe a mister or tt vent, they could push a K03 to 1.1bar pretty safely? And maybe a K04 to 1.3bar? Assuming you have the fuel capacity, of course.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts